Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine shut-down

I think everything is ok now, but after we ran 40 minutes up the lake, we stopped and refueled on the way back to the house. As we idled away from the fuel dock, the engine started making a loud hiss then sputtered and shut off. I could not get it restarted, so we got someone to tow us back to the dock. After letting it sit for about 10 minutes, it restarted and went about 45 seconds until it started the loud hiss, sputtered and shut off.

We started calling shops etc. And began making plans to get back to the house and towing the BU to our dealership who said he was backed up 2 weeks. Bummer.

The boat sat for a other 10 mins before we tried cranking it again. This time, no problems. I went up to the marina, bought a paddle and we motored the 20 minutes home with no incident.

I have an 05 VLX with the monsoon. Does this make sense to any of you. Right now my strategy is to pretnd like this never happened. I'm hoping it was a stuck valve or something and that the valve un-stuck itself.

Any thoughts or advice?

Vapor lock would be highly unusual, some would say impossible, in a fuel injected engine.

True, the high pressure fuel pump for an injected engine makes vapor lock almost non-existent on modern engines. You may want to check your fuel filter and make sure it's clean.

I have talked to Indmar Tech and he has confirmed the vapor lock issues with 06 and older models. It happens at the fuel pump and not the fuel rails. E10 fuel with alcohol is partly to blame. A ice cold towel wrapped around my pump when it is locked up will usually get mine running in less than 10 minutes. The pumps went into the tank on 07 and newer models to keep them cool.

Vapor lock would be highly unusual, some would say impossible, in a fuel injected engine.

True, the high pressure fuel pump for an injected engine makes vapor lock almost non-existent on modern engines. You may want to check your fuel filter and make sure it's clean.

It's actually more common than you would think. The issue pops up here from time to time.

Plus1.gif

I reported having an issue with vapor lock on my '03 Monsoon a couple weeks ago. First time I had ever seen it on this boat (5th season now), and saw it happen twice, under conditions that were not particularly hot (air temp mid 70's, water temp about the same). After topping off with fresh fuel, I have not had the issue happen again (knocking on wood as I type this).

From what I've seen here, I think that it has to do with the fuel that we've been getting & continue to get. In the OP's case, he had just filled up. The rest of the symptoms are almost classically symptomatic of vapor lock. So I wonder if draining the tank & filling with fuel from a different station would be the fix.

It seems to come in waves. One case will pop up, then a half dozen more over the next couple of weeks. I don't think that it's a coincidence.