Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water leaking from Exhaust manifold

I have a 2002 Sunscape that I bought this time last summer. Never notcied the leaks before. There is a slow drip from the exhaust manifold. it looks like it is coming from around the bolt head area. Both manifolds are doing it. I called the dealer. he had me check the oil for water. that was good thank god. he told me the exhaust manifolds are either cracked or loose. If I tigthen the bolts and that stops the leak does that mean the bolts pass through the water jacket? That really doesn't make sense to me. Any advice would be helpful.

when mine did that, it was due to cracks within the exhaust manifolds, which eventually led to a "blow out" in the manifold. I am a brakish water user though, which I don't think you get in Ohio.

when mine did that, it was due to cracks within the exhaust manifolds, which eventually led to a "blow out" in the manifold. I am a brakish water user though, which I don't think you get in Ohio.

Looks like new manifolds for me. Dealer said something about it not having gaskets. Is that true? I would feel better having a gasket over high temp sealant.

How easy/hard is this to do yourself? Where can I order that is cheaper than the dealer?

Edited by Zman

Looks like new manifolds for me. Dealer said something about it not having gaskets. Is that true? I would feel better having a gasket over high temp sealant.

How easy/hard is this to do yourself? Where can I order that is cheaper than the dealer?

Not hard to do at all. Make sure you also replace the gasket between the two sections of the manifold (manifold and elbow). I find it hard to believe that both manifolds are cracked. Have you overheated the boat? If so, this may cause warping, which would lead to lose bolts. Please use a torque wrench on the manifold bolts. You can also pull the manifolds and have them pressure tested somewhere. I had to do this due to a leak between the manifold and elbow. If the manifolds are OK, I'd strongly suggest you have the mating surface machined flat.

the only hard part for me was mine had those old big allen wrench bolt on them (between the risers and exhaust manifolds).

I grinded them out, it was a lot easier.

That's true that indmar does not use a gasket on their exhaust manifold (except on their new ETXCAT exhaust manifold) They use a high temp RTV silicone.

Did you not winterize your boat? Cracks don't "just happen" they are from freeze damage, corrosion, or over heated than cooled down to fast.

Hope your getting it solved

-Paul

the only hard part for me was mine had those old big allen wrench bolt on them (between the risers and exhaust manifolds).

I grinded them out, it was a lot easier.

I did it all with an allen wrench that I had to cut shorter. You are right, this was the hardest part.

I have a 2002 Sunscape that I bought this time last summer. Never notcied the leaks before. There is a slow drip from the exhaust manifold. it looks like it is coming from around the bolt head area. Both manifolds are doing it. I called the dealer. he had me check the oil for water. that was good thank god. he told me the exhaust manifolds are either cracked or loose. If I tigthen the bolts and that stops the leak does that mean the bolts pass through the water jacket? That really doesn't make sense to me. Any advice would be helpful.

You most likely have a crack in your manifold. Rarely happens to both unless it was not properly winterized. These can be repaired with a new epoxy that has recently come out. I have had 2 or 3 boats in my shop (automotive) that we have had exhaust repaired at a local machine shop. This cost about $150. Not a big loss if it doesn't work. We have also repaired the engine blocks as well. The best way is to replace but, if money is limited this might be a option. Good luck.

I did what the dealer said and tightened the exhaut manifold bolts ( about a 1/4 turn each ). Hooked up the FAL and let it run for a good 30 - 40 minutes. No drips at all from the manifolds. s*** maybe I was seeing things in the first place.

Edited by Zman