Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Was California Skier a Malibu Boat ?

DONTW8

Malibu made them for California Skier he was pretty much a one man shop based in Atwater just north of Merced. I skied behind one back in the day, the wake or should I say lack of was incredible. They were darn near a flatbottom bottom boat and rode like crap but the wakes were awsome.

Edited by LS-One

Great wakes for the day! Ditto the crappy ride however. a day on public water with one would make your kidneys really hurt for sure.

• 2 years later...

I recently bought one ( California Skier) in the spring . Never heard of of it really, but the boat is almost showroom for a 1993. Took a gamble on it since I got a good deal. Although I havent used it much , it is really awesome. Wakes are flat and soft. The rough water ride doesnt feell that bad to me, been in much worse. The owner tweaked the motor, unbeknownst to me, and it is a fricken rocket. I have yet to open up, as I gets pretty scary after 55. Don't think the boat was desinged to go that fast!!

Only pic i have is this one, will try to get more. Any info on this boat would be great. Not much out there .

IMAG0275.jpg

Edited by lxirod

I think the company was called West Coast Boats or something similar to that. Based out of Merced or Atwater CA. They also made a model called American Skier.

The company was actually called Ski West out of Merced. I have the original brochure the owner gave me from when he bought the boat new. Malibu apparently built them for Ski West , but do not know this to be fact. I also heard it was a flightcraft splash but again, do not know this to be fact. It is a nice boat. I like the look of the low windshield, but not effective at blocking any wind! Its built very solid, no wood other than the teak. A bit ahead of its time with the in floor cooler, dual transom storage & removable center rear seat . I'm curious to know more about how slalom skiers liked or disliked about it and what happened to them.

IMAG0521.jpg

I almost pulled the trigger on one before I bought my first BU in 91 at that time he was in a small shop in Atwater. The reason I didn't was the boat was priced almost identical to the Euro skier and there was no track record of longevity established. I met a guy at the gym who had one and we started skiing together. I loved the ski wakes.

Edit yes eventually Malibu did build them for him and no it was not a flightcraft splash.

Edited by LS-One

yes, its a rocket. I've yet had the cojones to open it up. I've gotten close , but it has not been quite glassy enough the times I take it out.

DSCN3122.jpg

Edited by lxirod