Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller problem, hose to tranny cooler

I just had an impeller go out on an 06' LSV a few weeks ago, had it replaced, looked pretty bad and befor I get hammered I bought the boat last summer, have learned my lesson. Anyway got the boat back and a few hours later had the same problem, motor not going above about 2500 rpms. Took it back and he flushed some hoses and it was fine, until yesterday. Back to about 2000 rpms and dies! But the engine temp never gets over 160. I want to do a few things befor I haul it back to him at $75/hr. How would I check the screen at the tranny cooler. As bad as the first impeller looked I am sure there has to be pieces of it lodged somewhere and after reading several froums I beleive it may be here. Any other imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Why would you think it has anything to do with the impeller or tranny cooler, especially since you say the temp stays at 160?

The engine will overheat with a bad impeller or blocked screen but I do not think that it would limit the RPM's. This sounds like a fuel problem, like perhaps the engine is getting starved for fuel. If that was the case it could be any number of issues such as a clogged fuel line or bad fuel pump, maybe even a bad fuel regulator. Maybe you could explain the symptoms in more detail.

How would I check the screen at the tranny cooler. As bad as the first impeller looked I am sure there has to be pieces of it lodged somewhere and after reading several froums I beleive it may be here.

Disconnect the hose from the proximal end of the transmission cooler (the end of the hose coming from the

raw water pump) and, using a flashlight, look upwards. You can also stick your finger up there and feel for

any debris. You can get a water source [like a bulb syringe] and flush upwards, allowing that water and any

debris to fall back into a paper cup or other container. You can also disconnect the hose from the distal/upper

end of the cooler and run water straight down through it, again collecting the water and debris in a cup, or just

let it pour into the bilge.

One other area to check is your transmission fluid level. If it is to low your transmission will overheat and the ECM will engage a rev limiter to about the level you are talking about.

One other area to check is your transmission fluid level. If it is to low your transmission will overheat and the ECM will engage a rev limiter to about the level you are talking about.

That is good info and makes a lot of sense.