Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge Woes

My 08 LXi Power Wedge is stuck in the Full Deploy Down position. The Blue PW 30 amp fuse was not tripped. The up, down and deploy buttons all highlight in the display after being pushed, suggesting/indicating switch functionality. I Have read and reread all owners manual procedures and tried the common electrical reset processes I'm aware of, with no luck. Any experience, help, or suggestions ref this problem will be greatly appreciated; as closest dealer is not close. I read one post that mentioned a visit from a Factory Rep ref this problem. How do you schedule this service? My old 04 LXi interior got trashed with a dealer trip for electrical problems; so I'd like to avoid that solution, if at all possible.

Thanks for your help and attention.

Jeff

Jeff....you didn't mention if your boat is on the trailer, or in the water.

If on the trailer, the wedge is programmed to not rise if approx 10mph is not sensed by the speedo "paddle wheel" under your boat. All you need to do is have someone in your boat ready to actuate the switch while you're under the boat with a LOW pressure blow gun nozzle to spin the wheel. You don't need much RPM to do this, and too much air pressure can easily overspeed the wheel, possibly damaging it. The best way is to start the flow of air about 3 feet away from the vanes, and slowly approach the wheel until it just starts to spin. Again, you only need to simulate around 10mpn to get the wedge to rise (maybe 20 ~ 30 RPM).....but make absolutely sure no one is anywhere around the wedge as it starts to come up.

If it's in the water, you only need reach the above speeds to allow the speed sensor to activate the wedge "rise circuit".

If neither is a solution (whether dry on the trailer, or wet in the water), you may have a problem for the dealer to solve.....

Edited by rustie

When I picked my boat from the dealer after the winter the parts guy told me to keep an eye on the two wires that come out of the boat to the power wedge. They are not really protected and he said they've been having issues with those wires being severered.

They're not sure if certain critters like to chew on them or if it happens when say a stick gets caught up in the wedge and the turbulence causes it to rattle around and chew up the wires.

Could be worth a look.

BM

Jeff....you didn't mention if your boat is on the trailer, or in the water.

If on the trailer, the wedge is programmed to not rise if approx 10mph is not sensed by the speedo "paddle wheel" under your boat. All you need to do is have someone in your boat ready to actuate the switch while you're under the boat with a LOW pressure blow gun nozzle to spin the wheel. You don't need much RPM to do this, and too much air pressure can easily overspeed the wheel, possibly damaging it. The best way is to start the flow of air about 3 feet away from the vanes, and slowly approach the wheel until it just starts to spin. Again, you only need to simulate around 10mpn to get the wedge to rise (maybe 20 ~ 30 RPM).....but make absolutely sure no one is anywhere around the wedge as it starts to come up.

If it's in the water, you only need reach the above speeds to allow the speed sensor to activate the wedge "rise circuit".

If neither is a solution (whether dry on the trailer, or wet in the water), you may have a problem for the dealer to solve.....

Thanks for the thoughts! Its currently in the water. The paddle wheel functionality seems fine. I became familar with the basic operational procedures in detail (And had a smart engineer quickly research the engineering process and logic for reliability) before I invested in a new boat with the power option. My entire 04 LXi boat performed flawlessly (Manual Wedge) for 4 years, so the only upgrade reason was for Power Wedge functionality. My fear was the Very problem I now have. Slalom and jump maxed at 25mph with large wake; after a major investment last September. Thanks again for any further help or insight.

Even the surfing sucks because of full deploy.

When I picked my boat from the dealer after the winter the parts guy told me to keep an eye on the two wires that come out of the boat to the power wedge. They are not really protected and he said they've been having issues with those wires being severered.

They're not sure if certain critters like to chew on them or if it happens when say a stick gets caught up in the wedge and the turbulence causes it to rattle around and chew up the wires.

Could be worth a look.

BM

Thanks!! We have tons of critters of all sorts where I'm at and have had vehicle engine issues related to animal "Chews" in the past.

I'm headed out to check the wire condition right now!

Thanks again! Jeff

......It was't the external wires, they appear to be in perfect condition, still no resolve????

Edited by Jeffrey

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago (see my post on "Power Wedge Problems"). Ended up taking it to the dealer and they swapped the computer module ultimately. That has solved the problem so far.

I did have an issue when I tried to use the presets for different riders after the computer repair and I thought here we go again. Shut the boat down and restarted, and everything was fine. I've not been using the presets since. I don't know if they relate to my issue but I'm gun shy now as they were in the mix twice when I had the same issue and they don't provide enough convenience IMO to try them again and go through all the hassle with bringing it back in and waiting again.

Good luck,

Mike

Could be worth a look.

BM

Thanks!! We have tons of critters of all sorts where I'm at and have had vehicle engine issues related to animal "Chews" in the past.

I'm headed out to check the wire condition right now!

Thanks again! Jeff