Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1 7/8" Wrench for packing nut?

I'm looking to tighten the packing nut on my 01 Vdrive Sunsetter. It looks like I'll need to get 1 7/8" wrench or adjustable spanner wrench. Is this the size I need for my boat? I guess i'll need 2 of them? It's currently a constant drip, it sounds like I need to get it down to a drip every 10 seconds or so? Will it need less than a full turn?

Does the drip ever slow down once you've been in the water a few hours?

Stick - You should have 1 7/8". Always adjust by 1 flat or less at a time. It's a pain on V-Drives, but you don't want to over tighten, heat it up too hot & score the shaft.

Bill - I put the GORE packing in last summer & it's been great.

I did have to adjust the packing nut quite a bit looser compared to the flax packing, but it was time (over 500 hours).

Stick - You should have 1 7/8". Always adjust by 1 flat or less at a time. It's a pain on V-Drives, but you don't want to over tighten, heat it up too hot & score the shaft.

Bill - I put the GORE packing in last summer & it's been great.

I did have to adjust the packing nut quite a bit looser compared to the flax packing, but it was time (over 500 hours).

I adjusted mine this spring too but I hope I haven't tightened it too much???? I can't say its a drop every ten seconds but after footing for a few sets there is water just beneath the packing. The shaft doesn't feel hot too touch or anything but the flywheel on the transmission is warm. If it was too tight would I feel the driveshaft getting hot. It leaked like a siv before I tightened it and I think I only tightened it about 3/4 to 1 turn.

Kevin