Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What oil for a 340?

I am planning to change my oil every 50 or 60 hours on my '07 340 Monsoon. Anyone care to tell me what oil and what weight you are using? I have been using Mobil 1 in our cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, and race cars for the past 20 years, and was planning to do the same for the Monsoon, unless I hear a good reason not to.

Thanks,

Ub

PS hope this does not start an oil war.

Edited by UberXY
I am planning to change my oil every 50 or 60 hours on my '07 340 Monsoon. Anyone care to tell me what oil and what weight you are using? I have been using Mobil 1 in our cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, and race cars for the past 20 years, and was planning to do the same for the Monsoon, unless I hear a good reason not to.

Thanks,

Ub

PS hope this does not start an oil war.

I always used Chevron Delo 400 and Napa Gold filters in my last boat.

Don't rush into the Mobil 1. They (indmar) tell you to wait till at least 100 hrs before going to synthetic. Todays SM/CJ4 rated conventional oils have closed the gap significantly on synthetic oils anyway. Only true advantage of syn these days is the extended change intervals and Indmar states to change oil every 50 hrs no matter what oil you use. So that throws the extended change out the window.

Don't rush into the Mobil 1. They (indmar) tell you to wait till at least 100 hrs before going to synthetic. Todays SM/CJ4 rated conventional oils have closed the gap significantly on synthetic oils anyway. Only true advantage of syn these days is the extended change intervals and Indmar states to change oil every 50 hrs no matter what oil you use. So that throws the extended change out the window.

He didn't necessarily say he was going to use synthetic. Mobil 1 makes conventionals too.

I use pennzoil 15-40 with fram filters. I use pennzoil because indmar recommended and I have never had any problems. I use fram because I have the filter number memorized and although many online filter studies will tell you they're behind others, I've never had any lubricant-related problem so why change? Plus I like the no slip coating.

I'd disgaree that the only "true" advantage of synthetics is longer change intervals. Another major advantage is the cold viscosity, but the real advanatges aren't seen above temps that would not be boating in.

Napa 10/30 oil & filters here. Which are made by Valvoline & Wix.

Too many horror stories about Fram to mess with them.

If I may ask, why 10/30? If anything, most use a thicker oil, ie 15-50 or 20-50

Napa 10/30 oil & filters here. Which are made by Valvoline & Wix.

Too many horror stories about Fram to mess with them.

If I may ask, why 10/30? If anything, most use a thicker oil, ie 15-50 or 20-50

We started riding a month ago when air temps were still in the low 40s. I have used 10/40 too but never noticed any oil pressure difference. 20/50 is way too thick for spring & fall.

Not sure why M1 oil would not be ok after 10-15 hr breakin. My Corvete and for that matter every Corvette out the door has that oil. AMG brand new, 60% Nascar teams, 80 % IRL teams, 90 % ALMS teams and their engines are rebuilt about every race so should be considered new. I use only M1 in every thing I own that has oil in it ,even my saws and compressers. Not sure why not?

Not sure why M1 oil would not be ok after 10-15 hr breakin. My Corvete and for that matter every Corvette out the door has that oil. AMG brand new, 60% Nascar teams, 80 % IRL teams, 90 % ALMS teams and their engines are rebuilt about every race so should be considered new. I use only M1 in every thing I own that has oil in it ,even my saws and compressers. Not sure why not?

Every engine you mentioned with a factory fill of M1 is broken in after assemby by a controlled acceptance run before it hits the road or track. I'm willing to bet synthetics are not used during these runs. The slick chemically created molecular structure of a (group IV) synthetic oil does not allow the ring/cylinder wall interfaces to mesh and wear in as a course convention (group II) oils' structure would. This would also be true for bearing and race surfaces.

Every engine you mentioned with a factory fill of M1 is broken in after assemby by a controlled acceptance run before it hits the road or track. I'm willing to bet synthetics are not used during these runs. The slick chemically created molecular structure of a (group IV) synthetic oil does not allow the ring/cylinder wall interfaces to mesh and wear in as a course convention (group II) oils' structure would. This would also be true for bearing and race surfaces.

what he said Whistling.gif

Shell Rotella-T 15W-40 & Napa Gold filter (1069)

x2

the filter is the important part. the wix/napa filters are great.. 15w40 can be hard to find. I've never seen teh Pennzoil product anywhere here, so I've been using the diesel oil like rotella-t and valvoline heavy duty

The penzoil marine 15w-40 and a merc filter usually, but mostly just because that's what I can get easily.

Where do you find Penzoil 15w-40 "Marine". Thats the oil Indmar specs, but nobody in my group has ever been able to locate the "marine" type. As a result of our calls to Indmar, we've always used regular Penzoil 15-40; which is actually manufactured for Deisel spec applications.

Thanks Jeff

The penzoil marine 15w-40 and a merc filter usually, but mostly just because that's what I can get easily.

Where do you find Penzoil 15w-40 "Marine". Thats the oil Indmar specs, but nobody in my group has ever been able to locate the "marine" type. As a result of our calls to Indmar, we've always used regular Penzoil 15-40; which is actually manufactured for Deisel spec applications.

Thanks Jeff

I always used "ordinary" 15-40 Penzoil in my previous boat, which I bought new in 2000 and ran for 8 years and 450-plus hours. Never a problem. I use Wix filters on everything I own, boat included. The previous owner of my '05 RLXI used Rotella-T so that's what I'll continue to use in it. As long as you're using a good quality oil and filter and changing on schedule or earlier I don't think there will ever be a problem.

Ed

Thanks Jeff

I get the Marine Pennzoil 15W40 in Houston no problem. Just get your local auto parts store to order it. I just picked up 5 quarts the other day for $11. Gettin the Pennzoil PZ3 filter was a little harder but I found a local independent oil change place that had them at a reasonable price.