Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Response lxi water pump

Hello

Great forum !

I may have a small problem and I was looking for some feedback

I have a 06 Response lxi with 347 hours used mostly for barefooting (higher rpms)

last time out we noticed a differnt sound from the motor, a ski buddy of mine who is mech. inclined narrowed the problem to what may be the main circ. pump on the front of the motor.

the sound was very inconsistant, it would appear at random intervals and sounded as best as I can describe as a rubber on rubber "rub".....

From my limited mech experience I agreed with the diagnosis....maybe a bearing starting to go ???

No leak from the pump and the temp runs between 155 and 161........

The sound is not always present and there is no distinct pattern as to when it happens

Also I could not duplicate it at the end of the day yesterday

Any thoughts or comments are very much welcome.

Weeds or debris in the raw water pump? You could try removing the belts and checking the pullys for excessive play or noise.

Hello

Great forum !

I may have a small problem and I was looking for some feedback

I have a 06 Response lxi with 347 hours used mostly for barefooting (higher rpms)

last time out we noticed a differnt sound from the motor, a ski buddy of mine who is mech. inclined narrowed the problem to what may be the main circ. pump on the front of the motor.

the sound was very inconsistant, it would appear at random intervals and sounded as best as I can describe as a rubber on rubber "rub".....

From my limited mech experience I agreed with the diagnosis....maybe a bearing starting to go ???

No leak from the pump and the temp runs between 155 and 161........

The sound is not always present and there is no distinct pattern as to when it happens

Also I could not duplicate it at the end of the day yesterday

Any thoughts or comments are very much welcome.

If you are going to check for debris, the inlet hose off, flush that hose out to bottom of boat. Remove output hose from both pump & oiil col cooler and flush out to verify clear. While that hose is still off cooler, remove hose from top of cooler and verify that cooler is clear. It doesn't sound like a blockage issue as temp sounds normal, but if your'e going to check for debris, these are the common areas to inspect/clear.

had the same noise, when boat was at an idle, off and on ..took to malibu mech. he said all is fine..but it sounded like the shaft bushings to me..

To help isolate where the noise is coming from get a long screwdriver (at least a foot and a half long). Hook up the motor to a water source and start it. Being cautious of the belts, hold the screwdriver by the top of the plastic end and place the metal end of the screwdriver on the shaft housing of the main water pump. Place your ear near the plastic and if the bearing is bad you'll here it (the noise will be transmitted up the screwdriver). If that sounds pretty smooth try doing the same for the alternator. As for the raw water pump, if it was making noises it's most likely not getting enough water into it to provide cooling and lubrication and there's most likely damage to the impeller or housing.