Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power wedge problem

Just put the boat in yesterday and got in the water for first wakeboarding and surfing. Clap.gif

This morning had issues with not being able to raise the wedge so it is stuck in the down position. It worked fine for the first couple of sets. Dontknow.gif Wedge bolts and all seem to be intact and I can hear the actuator when pushing the wedge down button - nothing when pushing the wedge up button though. I have tried when in gear at all speeds to raise it and tried it on the lift with the paddle wheel removed while spinning it and having someone else pushing the button. No effect on raising it up though.

Anything else that I can try? Hate to lose Memorial Day because of this. Cry.gif

Thanks,

Mike

Coach Mike: I had the same issue three weeks ago on a new 247. Called the dealer and they said to check the fuse on the wedge. On the 247, it was up under the steering wheel. I took off the fuse cover, and the fuse that was marked for the wedge was a strange looking fuse that had a blue reset button in the middle of it. I pushed the reset button, and it worked. Weekend saved. Yahoo.gif I really hope it works for you. Rob

Thanks Rob. I just checked and could not find a fuse in that location. Do you have MUX or toggle switches ... I have MUX. Everything on the starboard MUX switch works (except for the wedge up switch) so there is power there.

Regards,

Mike

I have MUX switches and Maliview. When I had the problem, the MUX switches appeared fine (wedge deploy, wedge up and wedge down all appeared, and the wedge position (stuck down) showed up on the Maliview. The wedge just wouldn't move up no matter what I did - presets on Maliview, up button on Mux, jiggling the wedge, trying to put it up while stopped, while at speed, nothing. There were two fuse panels I could find on the 247. One under the throttle, and one up under the dash under the steering wheel. When I pulled off the fuse box cover, there was a fuse specifically labelled for the wedge. The fuse itself had a reset button on it (never seen that before). I pushed it and was good to go. Hope this helps. Rob

Thanks again for your reply Rob. Got under the boat and everything is sound with all Wedge bolts in place, no blockages to movement and no sign of having hitting anything. I found the fuse block and fuse exactly as you described it and it is not tripped. I took the boat out for a short run just to see what might happen after having pulled the fuse and reinstalled it. No change.

Now for something new. When I pulled onto the lift, got a new sound from the transom area that I was sure was the Wedge actuator motor with the engine off. Sort of a grinding noise. Cry.gif That sound was not there until we pulled in. Pulled that fuse again and sound gone - Wedge actuator is getting power as the fuse is working. Just have the fuse out now as when I put it back the noise is back. Is there something going on with the computer that it thinks the Wedge motor should be on even though I'm not doing anything? Dontknow.gif

Going to try disconnecting the battery to see if that will reset the whole system.

Any additional thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Mike

Disconnected the battery and no change. Put the fuse back in and sounds like actuator motor is trying to run so I have it out now. I hope I can get it in to the dealer soon but would still appreciate any and all thoughts from the Crew in the meantime.

Regards,

Mike

Disconnected the battery and no change. Put the fuse back in and sounds like actuator motor is trying to run so I have it out now. I hope I can get it in to the dealer soon but would still appreciate any and all thoughts from the Crew in the meantime.

Regards,

Mike

We have a 2008 VLX. When we got it we had problems with the wedge getting stuck in the down position. What we think was the problem was that we were running the boat on battery switch #1 instead of both #1 and #2. On our old boat we used to run on one battery and then switch the next time out to the other battery. Thought the 08 was the same but i was wrong. Had 2 problems first with the wedge and the other was with the Sub. Both problems went away since we have been running the switch on both batteries.

Regards,

Mike

We have a 2008 VLX. When we got it we had problems with the wedge getting stuck in the down position. What we think was the problem was that we were running the boat on battery switch #1 instead of both #1 and #2. On our old boat we used to run on one battery and then switch the next time out to the other battery. Thought the 08 was the same but i was wrong. Had 2 problems first with the wedge and the other was with the Sub. Both problems went away since we have been running the switch on both batteries.

We run the batteries on 1 and have no problems with either the stereo equipment or wedge.

Check with your dealer.

If they continue to run without the wedge actually moving will the gears strip?

If they continue to run without the wedge actually moving will the gears strip?

little voice in my head says something will break if it's not already broken. Whether it's the gears or something else, I'm not sure, but something will break. The wedge acuators have a lot of force behind them

Edited by CrazyTegger

Well, I took it in and the dealer swapped the main computer. The actuators apparently have a clutch type mechanism so they won't wear if they continue to run - any other comments to that would be appreciated.

System ran fine for the most part. I went into presets to run from that and the wedge was acting up again - i.e. not responding to switches and sometimes I could hear the actuators running when I wasn't pushing switches. My son was riding and could tell that the wake was coming and going on its own at times. Turned the engine off and set everything from manual mode for ballast, speed, and wedge position and all was good again. I hope that will be all I have to do because I don't really care about the presets anyway.

Thanks for the comments received on this.

Mike

We have a 2008 23 LSV with exactly the same problem. After a few runs the Wedge gets stuck in the Max Wake position. The only way to get it up is to put the boat into FWD and push the up button three times. This works 90% of the time. I spoke with Daisy from Malibu and she said there is an update for the wedge - a new sensor bolt - which is supposed to fix this problem. A factory tech is coming to do the updates next week. Will let you know if it fixes the problem.

Well, I took it in and the dealer swapped the main computer. The actuators apparently have a clutch type mechanism so they won't wear if they continue to run - any other comments to that would be appreciated.

System ran fine for the most part. I went into presets to run from that and the wedge was acting up again - i.e. not responding to switches and sometimes I could hear the actuators running when I wasn't pushing switches. My son was riding and could tell that the wake was coming and going on its own at times. Turned the engine off and set everything from manual mode for ballast, speed, and wedge position and all was good again. I hope that will be all I have to do because I don't really care about the presets anyway.

Thanks for the comments received on this.

Mike

Coach Mike,

I've got a similar situation with my 08 LXi. Power wedge is stuck in full deploy Down position. Have tried all the before mentioned tricks with no luck. The PW Blue 30 amp fuse is NOT tripped. Removed and replaced; still dead. Up, Down and Deploy buttons when pushed, show highlight in display indicating functionality.

No dealer within 3 hours travel. Has anyone heard of a manual method to return the wedge to up position so the boat can be used this weekend? How do you get a factory rep to visit as was mentioned in another post? Thanks for all help and attention. Jeffrey

Edited by Jeffrey

Jeffrey,

I did reply to your thread. I suppose you could remove the actuators and wedge bolts so you can run without it until you can get it fixed. That should be a fairly easy temporary fix. From what others have said, swapping the actuators out was easy to do? Dontknow.gif

Good luck,

Mike

• 4 years later...

I know this is old thread. But I have a 2012 23 LSV. I am having the same issues. I have had to take the wedge off the boat and run without it. This has happened almost every trip out since I have owned the boat. Going to dealer again this Friday. I am just about to rip it off and replace with a manual power wedge. Any comments would be great. Thanks. Scott

It is frustrating that an 80,000 boat breaks !!!!!

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know of a different brand that you can change out too instead of using the Lenco brand? Lenco is crap!

I'm on my 4th set in two seasons & at $800.00 to fix & replace I'm getting tired of it.

Its time for Malibu to step up & recall these with the amount of people having issues with them.

For a 80k to 100k boat, this is completely unacceptable........ Not a happy Malibu owner at this point.

Also, how hard is it to replace myself? Is there a calibration process? Seems like it would be pretty easy.

• 6 years later...

Hi I have a 2007 wakesetter VLX and the wedge is stuck in the down position, I put in a new inline 30 amp fuse. Then when I turned on the boat it made the sound like the wedge was trying to go up or down, but blew the fuse within about 20 seconds. I

tried again same results any suggestions?

18 hours ago, DVD said:

Hi I have a 2007 wakesetter VLX and the wedge is stuck in the down position, I put in a new inline 30 amp fuse. Then when I turned on the boat it made the sound like the wedge was trying to go up or down, but blew the fuse within about 20 seconds. I

One of your actuators is likely bad so one is trying to do all the work and now it's in a bind and popping the fuse. If this is the case, you'll want to replace both actuators at the same time.

Thank you for the response.

Where are the actuators located, and can this be done in the water?

25 minutes ago, DVD said:

Bad actuator, even if only one is fried it will affect the other. They are attached to your wedge and you will need to pull the boat out to replace them. Search on here on how to replace them as it is a little tricky for the wiring. 

1 hour ago, DVD said:

Your actuators are located under the wedge itself as shown in the pic below. The replacement can be done in the water assuming the boat is on a lift. I've done it twice now and my first time was on my old 2007 VLX just like yours. There's a lot of good info on this site on how to swap them out but my main recommendation would be to have someone help you as it's easier to have an extra set of hands when running the new wires through the hull. Overall it's not a bad job to tackle yourself though.

actuators.jpg.f561498fd4a997fe770a75ac6a3098be.jpg

• 9 months later...