Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weary Gauges ??

Just curious. Started the boat yesterday and after turning the ignition, the gauges took forever to power up. When the boat started I lost all the gauges again and it went through the whole start up sequence before reading normally. Battery was showing 12+ volts and engine was running fine. Anyone else had this happen? What was the cause?

I'd be thinking about a loose connection/ground somewhere. First thing I would look at would be the cannon plug. Disconnect, inspect, reconnect. These plugs have been known to cause funky/erratic problems with the dash guages.

I'd be thinking about a loose connection/ground somewhere. First thing I would look at would be the cannon plug. Disconnect, inspect, reconnect. These plugs have been known to cause funky/erratic problems with the dash guages.

Thanks RTS. Can you tell me where to find the cannon plug and what it looks like. I don't know what it is. Perhaps I know it by another name.

The cannon plug basically connects the engine wiring to the boat wiring. It is round in shape, maybe 2"-3" long and about 2" in diameter. It is usually held together by a hose clamp.

What I did, and what others have reported doing, is remove the hose clamp and pull the plug apart. One side will have maybe 10 male pins in it, the other has the holes for those pins. I used a small scewdriver to SLIGHTLY bend the pins, and reconnected the plug. This will help solve any loose/funky connections happening in there.

As far as location, it will be somewhere close to your engine. On my direct drive Monsoon, it is located on the starboard side of the engine, towards the rear (near where the ECM and fuses are).

Here's kind of a picture of it. Look at the big black connector on the end of this wiring harness. Yours will be bigger, but this should give you the idea,

Harness with Cannon Plug

Edited by rts
  • 1 year later...

hey have you found your problem yet? i have the same boat and im having the same problems and i cant figure it out!!! and i never found a cannon plug on my boat either. please let me know if you have figured this one out! thanks robby