Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fat Sacs vent or no vent????

HicVic

Hi,

Ive done tons of reading on this and still can't come up with one clear answer!! When adding a plumbed in fat sac(top hole fill/bottom hole empty) should I vent it.

Thanks

I do not vent my rear bags. The down side is that you have to "burp" the bags to make sure they fill all the way. Also they get very tight when they get full. I went ventless because I could put the big flying disc the kids love (not inflated of course) on top the the bags and the bags would still fill.

I vented mine and it seems to work well also. Not hard to add....I just tee'd into the drain line from the 3rd port on the top of the sac. When filling, just turn the switch on until you see water coming out the vent and you know it's full.

Vent it, if you do not vent a sac and start filling and forget about it most likely one of the fittings will pop out to relieve the pressure and can damage the threads and fill the bilge full of water.

I vented mine and it seems to work well also. Not hard to add....I just tee'd into the drain line from the 3rd port on the top of the sac. When filling, just turn the switch on until you see water coming out the vent and you know it's full.

When you were installing your "fill" and "vent" lines -- how did you set it up? I ready to plumb in my "tank buster" sacks but I'm looking for an opinion -- fill in the front or the back? (ever wish the two holes were side by side in the front so you don't have a fill/vent line snaking back to the back of the bag?) :(

Thanks for the tip...

Vent it, if you do not vent a sac and start filling and forget about it most likely one of the fittings will pop out to relieve the pressure and can damage the threads and fill the bilge full of water.

Mine just flows out the drain, past the drain pump.. you know its full when it starts draining.

When you were installing your "fill" and "vent" lines -- how did you set it up? I ready to plumb in my "tank buster" sacks but I'm looking for an opinion -- fill in the front or the back? (ever wish the two holes were side by side in the front so you don't have a fill/vent line snaking back to the back of the bag?) :(

Thanks for the tip...

When I installed my V drive set I vented it from the top rear to keep the fill and drain on the same side. This kept the hard tank connections as close as possible to the sac. You don't have to extent the fill line just relocate it. Add a short drain line from the bottom of the sac to the hard tank and extend the vent line to the rear top of the sac. This also keeps all the pressured lines short and close to the factory configuration. Biggrin.gif

This seems to work good, but i'm open to any other suggestions.

Thanks for the tip...

When I installed my V drive set I vented it from the top rear to keep the fill and drain on the same side. This kept the hard tank connections as close as possible to the sac. You don't have to extent the fill line just relocate it. Add a short drain line from the bottom of the sac to the hard tank and extend the vent line to the rear top of the sac. This also keeps all the pressured lines short and close to the factory configuration. Biggrin.gif

So what exactly are the three hoses on my vRide? I am assuming that the fill and drain are the same using a reversible pump, but not positive. That leaves two lines? one is vent what is the other? I am confused! Dontknow.gif

Thanks for the tip...

So what exactly are the three hoses on my vRide? I am assuming that the fill and drain are the same using a reversible pump, but not positive. That leaves two lines? one is vent what is the other? I am confused! Dontknow.gif

the hard tanks need a vent line, since the air needs to escape when filling or replace the removed water when draining. When you use a flexible sac, the bag just collapses as you remove the water -hence the minimal need for a vent... there really isn't any air in the sac to vent out - when it is full, it just escapes past the drain pump and out that line