Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

12 volt vaccum

Michigan boarder

The boat is in the water, on the lift, and the carpet is getting some crumbs on it from the kids. I usually sweep the carpet with a little wisk broom and do a good hose down at the end of the season. In the meatime, has anyone had good luck with a 12 volt or battery powered vaccum? I had a 12 volt years ago that had almost no suction, wasn't worth the box it was packaged in. Also had a battery powered dust buster years before that, not much luck with that either.

Try out the portable DeWalt,,,It is powered by the same battery that can run your drill, light etc..They have real good suction and wont drain your boat battery..

Try out the portable DeWalt,,,It is powered by the same battery that can run your drill, light etc..They have real good suction and wont drain your boat battery..

Funny you mention that, I was looking at those on line. Then I decided to post this thread because the reviews were all over the place good & bad, and I figured I'd get a boaters perspective. I do have an 18v drill will extra batteries and it seems like that would make the most sense. So you have one and are happy with it?

I've noticed marine carpet don't like to give up the dirt unless you have some good suction. I had no luck with my 12 V. vac last year while on vacation.

MalibuNation

John,

Trench electricity down to the lake, you'll never be sorry, I've got 110 and 220 down there. The latter to run my lake pump.

• 2 months later...

I use a black and decker dust buster and it seems to do OK for the immediate spills and crumbs but cant lift the carpet, you need a roller for that and that will have to be a 110 v plug in vacume.

• 5 years later...

Anyone have anything new to add to this old thread? I'd love a way to clean up the boat during the season without yanking it up to the house... I've had great luck using speed gloss and seat soap all year to keep the boat looking good but the one gap I have is the carpet.

+1

John,

Trench electricity down to the lake, you'll never be sorry, I've got 110 and 220 down there. The latter to run my lake pump.

I would have to drive a pipe under a road.

I use a small 12V shop vac looking unit. It lifts loose dirt/sand, gold fish, etc. But it doesn't do anything for deep in cleaning. I feel you need something with a beater brush or strong vac for that. It gets the sand out of the vinyl seams and off the carpet though, so I keep it on board for quick touch ups/spills. I took my wife's rechargeable Dyson to the boat once for cleanup. Once.....

How about just install an invertor and use a real vacuum? Something like the little Dirt Devil that I use to clean the boat up in the garage.

http://dirtdevil.com/products/details/sd12000/the-hand-vac-2-0-bagless-handheld-vacuum/

This invertor should have plenty of power to run a 2amp vacuum

http://www.basspro.com/ProMariner-TruePower-Marine-Power-Inverters-200-and-400-Watt/product/72760/

Edited by oldjeep