Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

steering cable

I have a 2000 Sunsetter LXI with stiff steering. From the forum questions, it looks like I need to install a new cable. Does anyone know what length cable I need to purchase? I would like to have the new cable ready to go back in so I can get the boat back on the water as quickley as possible. The site boatfix.com is said to be the place to purchase the cable. Is this correct?

Thanks

I called SkiDim & told them the year & model . They sent out the correct cable. Great people, super easy to deal with.

I got mine from wholesalemarine.com it was cheaper than skidim.

It looks like I need to remove the gas tank to get at it to replace it. Is this true or is there an easier way that I'm not seeing. Right now the boat has a full tank of gas!

Scott

i replaced mine two weeks ago in my 03 wakesetter vlx. i bought it at boatfix.com also. i priced a dozen different places including the dealer and malibu themselves and boatfix.com was significantly cheaper for the exact same cable. mine was 19' long.

tie a strong string/rope around the end at the rudder so when you pull it out from under the dash you can pull the new one back through. you should not have to remove your gas tank. I did not remove anything except a bracket holding my gas tank because the nut at the cable end got stock under it and the foot rest board under the dash. i had someone help me install the new one after i got the old one out. he pulled the rope and i kept working the feed end under the dash - back and forth, some wiggling, etc to get it to go. took some effort but not too bad.

D-Goose posted a nice instruction on this site that I used for help when doing mine. do a search for it.

I got mine from wholesalemarine.com it was cheaper than skidim.

It looks like I need to remove the gas tank to get at it to replace it. Is this true or is there an easier way that I'm not seeing. Right now the boat has a full tank of gas!

Scott

No reason to remove the gas tank, just reach underneath it. It's not fun, but TRUST me when I say its much easier then removing the gas tank.

-Chris

The SLXi uses a 19' cable.

Depending on what you are buying, the zero-friction cable from Teleflex is different than an off-the-shelf 19' rack cable.

i replaced mine two weeks ago in my 03 wakesetter vlx. i bought it at boatfix.com also. i priced a dozen different places including the dealer and malibu themselves and boatfix.com was significantly cheaper for the exact same cable. mine was 19' long.

tie a strong string/rope around the end at the rudder so when you pull it out from under the dash you can pull the new one back through. you should not have to remove your gas tank. I did not remove anything except a bracket holding my gas tank because the nut at the cable end got stock under it and the foot rest board under the dash. i had someone help me install the new one after i got the old one out. he pulled the rope and i kept working the feed end under the dash - back and forth, some wiggling, etc to get it to go. took some effort but not too bad.

D-Goose posted a nice instruction on this site that I used for help when doing mine. do a search for it.

I just replaced my cable last night on a 94 Malibu Flightcraft Sportster and figured this may help other owners of older Malibus. On my boat, the cable has to be pulled out the back of the boat instead of to the front of the boat I have been reading about. On my model, it is not physically possible to make the metal end attached to the rudder come up ender the dash. Just be sure that before you start pulling it back, you electrical tape the heck out of the end under the dash to keep the plastic sheath in place and that the rope you tape to it is secure on the cable itself, and not just that sheath. Apart from that, the rest of the information I read about was very helpful. Not a terribly hard job aside from having to be a contorsionist to get around the drivers seat and under the dash.

Not sure where you are, but I have a 19' zero friction cable in stock, and I even have some that come with a new boat wrapped around it.

Peter :)

• 3 weeks later...

i spent the weekend in the boat; it was great to finally get out!

we bought a hyperlite broadcast and 4 of the 5 who tried got up right away and surfed for the rest of the day!!!

anyway, i've got an '89 sunsetter and am realizing the steering cable might need to be replaced....the steering has been getting progressively worse.

the weird thing is that the rudder will turn very easy when the boat is on the trailer (using one finger). however, when the boat is under load, it certainly turns harder.....

is this just the cable I need to replace or are there other issues with the rudder which I need to address?

when the boat is on the trailer, it is also fairly easy to grab the rudder and turn it side to side (the turning wheel spins fairly easy).

what lenght of cable does my sunsetter need?

I usually buy through, SKIDIM, but it looks like others have used boatfix.com.

Do I need to only buy the cable? or should I buy the rotary helm, too. There is only a $25 difference.

thanks,

CR

we bought a hyperlite broadcast and 4 of the 5 who tried got up right away and surfed for the rest of the day!!!

anyway, i've got an '89 sunsetter and am realizing the steering cable might need to be replaced....the steering has been getting progressively worse.

the weird thing is that the rudder will turn very easy when the boat is on the trailer (using one finger). however, when the boat is under load, it certainly turns harder.....

is this just the cable I need to replace or are there other issues with the rudder which I need to address?

when the boat is on the trailer, it is also fairly easy to grab the rudder and turn it side to side (the turning wheel spins fairly easy).

Do I need to only buy the cable? or should I buy the rotary helm, too. There is only a $25 difference.

thanks,

CR

You may want to try a little grease on the rudder. There should be a couple of Zerk fitting on the housing. I have found when steering gets hard only under load it can be fixed by some grease. And it's cheaper and easier than replacing a steering cable :)

thanks,

CR

You may want to try a little grease on the rudder. There should be a couple of Zerk fitting on the housing. I have found when steering gets hard only under load it can be fixed by some grease. And it's cheaper and easier than replacing a steering cable :)

If you suspect the rudder is the issue, just disconnect the cable from the rudder, and try the steering wheel again, if it still stiff, then you know it is the cable.

The SLXi uses a 19' cable.

Depending on what you are buying, the zero-friction cable from Teleflex is different than an off-the-shelf 19' rack cable.

Peter, what is the zero-friction cable? I'm currently re-replacing my '02 23LSV cable... should I specify the zero-friction version? Should I just order it from you? ;)

Troy, that was actually me confusing terms. Teleflex called the throttle and shift cables zero-friction, but not the steering cable.

The steering cable is a ZFXtreme cable, which apparently has more strands as well, permitting a smoother silkier cable feel.

Sorry to confuse -

Peter

thanks,

CR

is there a grease zerk on the older sunsetter and skier rudders? I don't recall having one? the zerk must be under the floor, as I can't remember seeing one down below? Dontknow.gif

thanks,

CR

If you suspect the rudder is the issue, just disconnect the cable from the rudder, and try the steering wheel again, if it still stiff, then you know it is the cable.

this sounds like a good idea; i'll give it a go this weekend.

any thoughts on what length/brand cable I have/should get? Dontknow.gif

CR

is there a grease zerk on the older sunsetter and skier rudders? I don't recall having one? the zerk must be under the floor, as I can't remember seeing one down below? Dontknow.gif

On my RLX it is under the gas tank. I have to open the floor access panel and reach way under the gas tank. I don't know about your older Sunsetter, never been on one.

CR

On my RLX it is under the gas tank. I have to open the floor access panel and reach way under the gas tank. I don't know about your older Sunsetter, never been on one.

No zerk fitting on the housing of the rudder under the boat. Do not know about under the gas tank. Will have to take a look next weekend to see. Q, what type of grease should one use on these zerk fitting. Also are there any other zerk fitting I should be aware of? I learn something new every time I get on this site.

Thanks for the help.

Troy, that was actually me confusing terms. Teleflex called the throttle and shift cables zero-friction, but not the steering cable.

The steering cable is a ZFXtreme cable, which apparently has more strands as well, permitting a smoother silkier cable feel.

Sorry to confuse -

Peter

Peter,

Do you mean TFXtreme? That is the OEM for newer Malibu's and the best rack and pinion cable Teleflex makes.

More info on the cable: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1466

I also posted a fit chart on the page, in case you need to verify what cable goes to what

More Details from Teleflex: http://www.teleflexmarine.com/document/pro...1002_5_1071.pdf

-Paul

• 2 years later...

I just replaced my cable last night on a 94 Malibu Flightcraft Sportster and figured this may help other owners of older Malibus. On my boat, the cable has to be pulled out the back of the boat instead of to the front of the boat I have been reading about. On my model, it is not physically possible to make the metal end attached to the rudder come up ender the dash. Just be sure that before you start pulling it back, you electrical tape the heck out of the end under the dash to keep the plastic sheath in place and that the rope you tape to it is secure on the cable itself, and not just that sheath. Apart from that, the rest of the information I read about was very helpful. Not a terribly hard job aside from having to be a contorsionist to get around the drivers seat and under the dash.

I just got a 99 sunsetter vlx and took it out the other weekend and felt the steering to be a little tight only to the left? after reading of these post i found the grease fitting by rudder, gave it one pump and grease came out the top. this makes me think that there is obviously plenty of grease in the fitting. i'm going to take it out next week to see if there is any difference but i'm thinking i'm going to have to replace steering cable. my question is, do i need to tape a rope to old cable? from the rudder to the gas tank i can see cable. then if i pull floor panel i can see the cable running along side the gas tank and then up to ski locker. it looks like it shouldn't be too big of an ordeal. i'm wondering if i need the rope to get the new cable behind the dash? any help is appreciated.