Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Metal Fatigue?

Was riding behind the boat today and noticed the wake was washing out on one side, then I could see water coming up through the swim step. Stopped and found that the wedge was totally tweaked.

Pulled the boat out of the water to find the bolts on the very bottom, the ones that hold the foil to one of the arms had snapped and the force twisted the other arm and attached foil up. We hit nothing and heard nothing when it happened.

Thankfully, nothing happend to where it attaches to the transom, I just need to replace the foil and arms, or maybe just the arms because the foil is fine; but the portion that attaches to the boat is fine. Anyone heard if the metal can fatigue over time? It's an '05 VLX with 300+ hours.

P.S. Where is the best place to buy a replacement wedge?

I have a fixed V-shape wedge that I only used last year for sale. It came from my 2006 Vride. If you are interested PM me.

This is a fairly common issue. Check with Malibu first and see if they'll warranty it. If not, all you (probably) really need is to replace the bent arm. I've heard of guys on here straightening the arm and were good to go.

Yep it happened to my 2005 XTi. Malibu replaced it last summer under warranty.

The Thread

Does anyone know if the foil bolts are available seperatly? I talked to someone at malibu about the problem and they said electrlalisis was degrading the bolts. I would like to replace mine.

Just plain snappage is what degraded my bolts. Yes.gif I popped the wing on a two bolt wedge. Then I snapped the replacement two bolt wedge in spite of the stronger bolts. Then snapped one bolt on the new replacement three bolt wedge. The other two held, so there was no damage that time. That was a 2004 LSV with the manual wedge and all of it was under warranty. Bottom line..............make sure you get the replacement with three bolts on each side of the wing.

Just plain snappage is what degraded my bolts. Yes.gif I popped the wing on a two bolt wedge. Then I snapped the replacement two bolt wedge in spite of the stronger bolts. Then snapped one bolt on the new replacement three bolt wedge. The other two held, so there was no damage that time. That was a 2004 LSV with the manual wedge and all of it was under warranty. Bottom line..............make sure you get the replacement with three bolts on each side of the wing.

Makes sense, I am trying to keep it from happening in the first place. Sounds like you tried it already though. I got a different story from Paul at Bakes.......he said the bolts were a tiny bit to long, bottomed out, and did not clamp the foil as a result.

Either way 3 bolt is the way to go if it is already broke. If your like me and if it is not broke yet, I am going to try to replace the bolts.

I always say this every time this broken bolt on the wedge issue comes up...I'd replace the bolts with titanium if possible.