Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Almost Ready to Pull the Trigger. . .

TOAST

Good News: My good wife gave me a certificate for underwater/transom LEDs for my birthday.

Bad News: I've put off figuring out the details for a while. Ready to start boaing in Oregon and my lights aren't in yet.

I've read the threads here and over at WW. . . . so I think I'm close to pulling the trigger.

1- LED selection: Thinking Malibu 9 LED -- seem like pretty good price/performance and clean looking

2- Quantity: Thinking one pair, but wondered if I really need 2 pair (like in the Bakes install)

3- Color: Thinking white. Narrowed it to white or blue and white/malibu just seemed easier. Will use mainly in brownish (Willamette) and green water. One friend is really pushing for blue, I wonder what blue would look like on the Willamette.

4- Placement: I'm leaning toward putting them about exahust level, but outside the wedge. I've seen some high, some low, some behind wedge, some outside. . . . I want to illuminate the whitewash when underway, and nice glow when we're just hanging out.

Any other thoughts before I pull the trigger? I really appreciate in final words of advice or experience. (and any new pics -- I've looked at all that I could find here and on the web)

Thanks

Good News: My good wife gave me a certificate for underwater/transom LEDs for my birthday.

Bad News: I've put off figuring out the details for a while. Ready to start boaing in Oregon and my lights aren't in yet.

I've read the threads here and over at WW. . . . so I think I'm close to pulling the trigger.

1- LED selection: Thinking Malibu 9 LED -- seem like pretty good price/performance and clean looking

2- Quantity: Thinking one pair, but wondered if I really need 2 pair (like in the Bakes install)

3- Color: Thinking white. Narrowed it to white or blue and white/malibu just seemed easier. Will use mainly in brownish (Willamette) and green water. One friend is really pushing for blue, I wonder what blue would look like on the Willamette.

4- Placement: I'm leaning toward putting them about exahust level, but outside the wedge. I've seen some high, some low, some behind wedge, some outside. . . . I want to illuminate the whitewash when underway, and nice glow when we're just hanging out.

Any other thoughts before I pull the trigger? I really appreciate in final words of advice or experience. (and any new pics -- I've looked at all that I could find here and on the web)

Thanks

Won't be much choice if you go with the malibu lights as they are only white. They are the best bang for the buck. Blue in the dirty W wouldn't look very good, I'd stick with white as you'll want as many lumens as possible. You loose alot of lumens when you go to the blue color, actually about 1/2.

For placement I'd put one on each side of the swim platform brackets for ease of installation etc.. This is where they are on the bakes boat you're referring to. Keep them from behind the wedge or you will block your light.

Thanks

Go for the two pair.

That's my boat in the Bakes pics and it is absolutly awsome. You wont be dissappointed.

Enjoy.

Thanks - both helpful comments.

O-tuft, by any chance do you have pics of your boat in the water with the LEDs on? (ideally both sitting and underway. . . )

I think that would absolutely seal the deal for me. . . . (and help get the budget approval for 2nd pair of LEDs Yes.gif )

Thanks - both helpful comments.

O-tuft, by any chance do you have pics of your boat in the water with the LEDs on? (ideally both sitting and underway. . . )

I think that would absolutely seal the deal for me. . . . (and help get the budget approval for 2nd pair of LEDs Yes.gif )

I'm sorry I can be of no help on either front.

Although, I did pose the question to the household CFO why does anybody need 50 pairs of shoes and 12 hand bags....FYI, this did NOT help my case.

Good luck and I will post pics asap. My guess is you'll have them installed prior to me getting pics online.

Cheers

Whats the discount at bakes for being a crew member?

Here is another pic of the 09 Malibu lights... Just installed them last month.

The lights are much brighter than they look.

Sorry for not being able to post any pics of my new set-up, but I forgot to take a camera down to the lake last week-end when we were out at night and my cell took really bad pics. I'm running 2 pair and couldn't be happier. A set of Malibu "08" 6 lights in white mounted up by the swim platform brackets and a set of blue Bullets mount down by the exhaust.. I have them wired so I can have the blue on by themselves or both sets on, With the blue on by themselves the effect is very pretty. The blue are not as bright as I thought they would be, but that just might be our water and blue light. With both pair on half the lake lights up. I'll post some pics soon.

Thanks for the thoughts/suggestions.

B-Squad, Oznium was not on my radar -- they make me want to consider green.

Onamission, would love to see some pics. With the path I'm on a 2 pair set up could work.

I ended up ordering a pair of 09 Malibu LEDs from Bakes to get the ball rolling. I figure I can add another pair if needed v easily.

Another question -- what are people using for the switch? I don't have an available accessory switch. This thread seems to sugges just wire to the interior lights and use that switch? Add a new switch?

Other suggestions from people that have added transom lights??

Edited by TOAST
  • 2 weeks later...

Took a couple of pics last night of the new light set-up. Water and myself weren't is the best shape after watching the hockey game down the lake.

Bullet Lines in blue

Bullet's and Malibu 6LED's in white

Edited by onamission

Thanks for the pics -- very helpful.

I keep lusting after the blue. But I've got white on order and have heard good things about white in darker water. (brown) - so I'm going that route. I'll have 2 pair of Malibu (9 leds) installed Tue.

I like the results from the shadowcaster in the WW test, but couldn't stomach the price premium and delay for shipping/install

Also found a sweet set up (video) that defines the color, intensity at the dash -- can run blue, green, red, yellow, orange, white with one set up. (based in UK, haven't found any US price or dealer in my brief search, but guessing it is $$$$)