Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lift Canopy Color?

chadwick02

I’ll be ordering my lift today or tomorrow. I think we’ve pretty much narrowed the canopy color down to either “grass green” or “ocean blue”. Dark gray was also a consideration. We want it to blend into the environment as much as possible and not stick out, it’s the only canopy on our small modest lake. What has everyone’s experience been with canopy colors? Which will hide dirt, mold, mildew, bird crap…etc the best? Which will fade less? Should I treat it with something like 303 once a year to help prevent fading? What would you go with?

- Chad

My first canopy was a forest green color - I thought it looked great from the perspective of blending in with the natural surroundings. Unfortunately, I was not particularly aware of the effects of the sun on the canopy itself, and did not take steps to protect it. Fading was not so much the issue - the years of baking in the sun really dried the canopy material out, eventually causing it to disintegrate. As I removed the canopy at the end of each season, more and more of it was flaking off the underside. To the point where you could look up through the canopy on a sunny day and see all the pinholes that were forming. The cover lasted maybe 5 years.

I replaced it with the same material but in a tan color. I figured the lighter color might be more resistant to the sun's effects. But not wanting to take chances, I am also going to the effort to wipe it down with the 303 a couple times a summer. So far so good - 3 years old, and still in pretty good shape. However, I am surprised to find just how much the color has faded on it - the underside still looks tan, but the outer surface may as well be light grey.

My lift is a Midlander, I've got a couple buddies that have a Hewitt. I like the material of their canopy much better than mine. Seems to be much more pliable and durable than my canopy, and I know for a fact that they do not go to the trouble of wiping it down. If (when) I have to replace mine again, I'm going to try to find something like they are using.

My first canopy was a forest green color - I thought it looked great from the perspective of blending in with the natural surroundings. Unfortunately, I was not particularly aware of the effects of the sun on the canopy itself, and did not take steps to protect it. Fading was not so much the issue - the years of baking in the sun really dried the canopy material out, eventually causing it to disintegrate. As I removed the canopy at the end of each season, more and more of it was flaking off the underside. To the point where you could look up through the canopy on a sunny day and see all the pinholes that were forming. The cover lasted maybe 5 years.

I replaced it with the same material but in a tan color. I figured the lighter color might be more resistant to the sun's effects. But not wanting to take chances, I am also going to the effort to wipe it down with the 303 a couple times a summer. So far so good - 3 years old, and still in pretty good shape. However, I am surprised to find just how much the color has faded on it - the underside still looks tan, but the outer surface may as well be light grey.

My lift is a Midlander, I've got a couple buddies that have a Hewitt. I like the material of their canopy much better than mine. Seems to be much more pliable and durable than my canopy, and I know for a fact that they do not go to the trouble of wiping it down. If (when) I have to replace mine again, I'm going to try to find something like they are using.

Good to hear. What type of material did you have compared to. what your friend had? From what I can tell there are two kinds of material: a waterproof canvas like, sunbrella material – like what our boat covers are typically made out of. Then there is a vynal, plastic, pvc or some type of solid non-fabric material, similar to what the upolstry in our boats is made out of. The material I am looking at is the later of the two, but I’m still not sure how it will fade or wear compared to the other.

We have green too and have the same issue as Jerry. It looks like a starry night if you sit in the boat and look up. Cover is going into its 9th year of service, but it's faded pretty badly. I don't know how you'd treat it though. It would take a gallon of 303 each time you wanted to coat the thing. Ours doesn't have stuff flaking off of it, but a hailstorm a few seasons back beat it up pretty good. I'm thinking another storm like that might do it in this year with how dried out it's getting.

Best thing to do I think is just make sure it's installed properly so it's good and tight. Do that and it should last a while.

IMHO go with the lightest color you can. My canopy is white / off white and doesn't show bird poop. My neighbor had blue and it looked like it had white runny polka dots. I agree with the others that the darker the color the more heat it absorbs which results in a faster breakdown of the material regardless of what material it is. I have always washed my canopy with Murphy's Oil Soap and water at the end of every season. Someone told me to use Murphy's because it has lanolin in it and that will help keep the vinyl plyable. I don't know if that is true but after 11 seasons it is still in great shape. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Check out Rush Co. ( formerly Shur Co.) They make replacement covers for almost all the boat lift manufacturers and at a wholesale price compared to the boat lift companies. This dealer has as low of price as Rush Co., but currently they are offering free shipping.Hustler Sport

Edited by Surfin247

I agree that the color should be a lighter color. Less heat related wear and tear and dirt/bird droppings will be less noticeable. We picked the same color as our neighbor who's canopy is 5-10 years old and still looking good (he does nothing to maintain it either). The ebtide tan color that we picked is a sort of beige + light grey combination.

I agree that the color should be a lighter color. Less heat related wear and tear and dirt/bird droppings will be less noticeable. We picked the same color as our neighbor who's canopy is 5-10 years old and still looking good (he does nothing to maintain it either). The ebtide tan color that we picked is a sort of beige + light grey combination.

We have tan canopy covers on our lifts.

Very happy with this color.

As a side note it seems as if all the blue canopies on our lake get hit harder by the birds than any other color. :(

Scott