Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX Weight Distribution

We're beefing up the boathouse to be able to get the bu in there. I currently lift an 18ft outboard from the 60s in there with a 1 ton hoist in the front and 1 ton hoist on the back. I need to know what the front/back of the 06VLX weighs so I get the correct lifting capacity hoists. I know I could do 2 ton for both but that seems like overkill. Can I do 1 ton for each or should I do 2 ton in the back and 1 ton in the front. Thanks guys and gals!

I probably don't have the answer your looking for but here is what I found in the spec book. The weight of the boat empty is 3600lbs add fuel 46 gallons, oil, gear etc and that will give you an ideal of the total weight. Most of the weight will be in the back becasue that is where the engine and fuel tank is but I don't know about having two different types of hoist. Hope the info helps and good luck.

Hey Tim,

How much do you suppose that your trailer weighs? I'm curious because when we weighed ours, moderately loaded for the day, it came in at almost 5900 lbs on the trailer. I don't have any idea of what an Extreme tandem like ours would weigh, but if we could find out then we'd have a really close estimate to what his boat should weigh on the lift.

Our SA weighs 920lbs - TA should be about 1400 - 1600 lbs. So assume light on trailer & heavy on boat to get 4800# - with the ballast empty.

I'd go for the 2 Ton rear & 1 Ton front. That would give you 6000# total lifting. Assuming 75%/25%, that puts about 3600# on rear & 1200# on front.

I would not use a 1 ton on the rear.

Edited by wienrdog
Hey Tim,

How much do you suppose that your trailer weighs? I'm curious because when we weighed ours, moderately loaded for the day, it came in at almost 5900 lbs on the trailer. I don't have any idea of what an Extreme tandem like ours would weigh, but if we could find out then we'd have a really close estimate to what his boat should weigh on the lift.

Extreme "malibu" edition TA trailer weighs 1400 for the VLX.

Edited by 06vlx
Our SA weighs 920lbs - TA should be about 1400 - 1600 lbs. So assume light on trailer & heavy on boat to get 4800# - with the ballast empty.

I'd go for the 2 Ton rear & 1 Ton front. That would give you 6000# total lifting. Assuming 75%/25%, that puts about 3600# on rear & 1200# on front.

I would not use a 1 ton on the rear.

5900# for Boat + Trailer

-1400# for trailer

=4500# for the boat

15/85 Distribution = 675 for the front / 3825 For the back

40/60 Distribution = 1800 for the front / 2700 for the back

At either extreme I would still need a 1 Ton for the front and 2 Ton for the back. This even gives a decent buffer in case we're a little off.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Jimmypooh
  • 4 weeks later...

We found a great solution for getting the VLX in the boathouse.

RGC makes a rail system that goes up to 3 tons. We visited a guy that has one in nearly the same configuration that we will be using (going over a sea wall).

We're beefing up the boathouse to be able to get the bu in there. I currently lift an 18ft outboard from the 60s in there with a 1 ton hoist in the front and 1 ton hoist on the back. I need to know what the front/back of the 06VLX weighs so I get the correct lifting capacity hoists. I know I could do 2 ton for both but that seems like overkill. Can I do 1 ton for each or should I do 2 ton in the back and 1 ton in the front. Thanks guys and gals!

Any interest in upgrading to a standard overhead lift system like this? works great and is mighty simple.

We currently lift our VLX with a 4000lb lift but are upgrading to a 6000lb lift. Our VLX dry is 3600lbs and loaded with fuel and basic other stuff we estimated around 4200; but because of storing the boat on the lake, we do not keep much stuff in there at any given time other than a few wakeboards, a few life vests and anchor. We do not lift the boat fully while loaded down with people, just enough to stop the boat from moving.