Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hard to find neutral when starting???

Hi All

I was out with my friend on his 91 Sunsetter over the weekend and it seemed that some times when he went to start the boat after sitting it was hard to find neutral for starting. It would seem like it was in the neutral position and when he turned the key there was nothing. He would have to play with the throttle lever and moving it slightly back and forth a lot it would find neutral and fire right up. There is no lanyard like mine, I would have assumed that is what it was.

My question is. Is there a sensor or something that wears out in the throttle housing? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Yes. There is an ignition lockout that will prevent starting if the throttle is not in the neutral position. I'm not sure if it's on the transmission itself or the throttle though. I think it's on the tranny. Anyways, I'm sure that his contacts wherever they are just need cleaning and/or the cable and linkages for the transmission need attention.

Maybe the control box is getting worn out? My Morse setup has a positive position stop in the neutral position. It is not hard to miss at all. maybe just some internal component that has seen better days?

If it were me, I get it fixed...I like to know for sure that I am 'locked' in neutral.

Wait, are you saying the throttle housing didn't click into neutral? Did he buy the boat from Tommy Bartlett's water shows in Wisconsin? I know they disable the neutral lock on the throttle housings of their boats. I was assuming you meant the throttle was locked into the neutral position but the safety switch didn't agree.

It is not that it is not in Neutral as when you come to a stop and running it is easy to tell that we were in neutral / not going anywhere, it just seemed hard to find the sweet spot for starting. I can't remember if the neutral safety switch was working as when I drove I did not pull it out. It don't remember hearing the click that you normally here when you pull back up to the neutral position but I was not paying that close of attention to that. I will have him check out the contacts on the sensor, but to me I was thinking there are internal parts worn out, but I am not sure about the inner workings of that thing.

On a boat that old it's probably the linkage. And it's hard to adjust unless you know what you're doing. The throttle linkage has to be adjusted with the transmission linkage.

martinarcher

My neutral safety switch engages just behind where the throttle lever clicks into neutral. I need to adjust it, but I am so used to just ever so slightly pulling back on the throttle, hitting the key, and off you go. My wife on the other hand struggles with it. I've been in the water waiting for the boat to start multiple times and had to climb back in and start it for her. I guess it's time to adjust my cable. Whistling.gif

My 92 EuroF3 Sunsetter does the same thing. The neutral safety switch is located on the transmission. There is wear in the throttle/shifter assembly and also in the lever on the side of the transmission. I have tried to adjust the linkage per the Mercruiser service manual and have had no luck. I think the real problem is with the lever on the transmission that has a notch or hole that activates the "neutral" safety switch to allow the engine to crank.

If I move the throttle/shifter to "reverse" position and then back into the "neutral" position the engine will crank/start.

If throttle/shifter is moved from "forward" position to the "neutral" position the engine will not crank/start.

Jim

My 92 EuroF3 Sunsetter does the same thing. The neutral safety switch is located on the transmission. There is wear in the throttle/shifter assembly and also in the lever on the side of the transmission. I have tried to adjust the linkage per the Mercruiser service manual and have had no luck. I think the real problem is with the lever on the transmission that has a notch or hole that activates the "neutral" safety switch to allow the engine to crank.

If I move the throttle/shifter to "reverse" position and then back into the "neutral" position the engine will crank/start.

If throttle/shifter is moved from "forward" position to the "neutral" position the engine will not crank/start.

Jim

unscrew neutral safety switch i had same problem on my 95 flightcraft it was rusted i cleaned it with sandpaper and roller ball around fixed problem then bought new switch .ps had to move my lever back and forth then it would fire up untill cleaned switch.

• 1 month later...

Jim

Thanks - We also tried to adjust with no luck, and once had to open the cover and pop it into place. We took out the sensor and it looked good and tested good so linkage is sloppy on the transmission.

Ours is a bit picky as well, we have justy got used to turning the key to start as your hand is on the throttle if it doesn't start just rock it either way 1/8" while the key remains in the start position, it starts everytime. Its part of owning a classic Thumbup.gif

• 1 year later...

I am having this same exact problem!! Looks like this post is a bit old so I am hoping someone has come across a cure? or at least a bit of advice on how to work around this.

• 2 weeks later...