Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Minimum lake depth

GORDON

Hello Crew,

I am considering joining a private lake and was wondering if anybody knew what the minimum lake depth is that I can safely run my Wakesetter VLX in.

I went to MalibuBoats.com and it lists the vlx with a 24" draft.

You also need additional depth for the wake to form. I believe 12-15 feet is required.

I know of one VLX on a local lake that has an average depth of 8-10 feet. I can see my wake from LSV change when we enter a cove that is about 10 feet vs the main lake which is about 40 ft.

Another thing that hasn't been brought up is the water quality of the lake. Many of the private lakes up here don't have any flow or movement. Their fed by aquifer, but don't flow out. So after a few weeks, they get pretty funky & need to be treated. And by mid summer, their super warm, almost to the point that it's not refreshing to jump in it.

While I could run the boat in 4' or 5' of water, riding in it kind of a drag. The wake blows, and crashing, especially near the shore, is a little unnerving.

And no riding a foil in less than about 8' or 9' or a good crash will get you stuck in the muck.

Hello Crew,

I am considering joining a private lake and was wondering if anybody knew what the minimum lake depth is that I can safely run my Wakesetter VLX in.

Depending on your sport of choice, required depth for peak performance will vary, however, just to run your wakesetter I'd suggest at least 3 feet, and much more if someone is going to be behind the boat in any way. That said, our slalom site is only about 4 feet on one side and more on the other. More depth would be good for you, especially if you'll be pulling wakeboarders in which case I would like to have at least 8 feet, but that is just my opinion and I have no special education or experience which makes me an authority on the subject.

...by mid summer, their super warm, almost to the point that it's not refreshing to jump in it.

That depends on where the lake is located. It's definitly true of our lakes here south of the Houston area where we rely mainly on rainfall to keep them full. Right now the water temp is mid-70's but in July/August they get into the low 90's. Feels like a hot tub when you drop at the end. Depth is anywhere from 3 - 6 feet.

I was a member of a lake(s) just north of Sacramento that pumped all their water from 500+ feet down. Mid-summer when it was 100 degrees out and the pumps were running enough to stave off evaporation the lakes were a refreshing high 70's/low 80's. Same lake depths.

The OP is from a dry climate so maybe they pump as well. (pardon the lame pun :) )

The water on the private lake I am considering to join is pumped in from the river. There is no out flow. I will be pulling my kids 9&10 wakeboarding. I was out on a friends boat last weekend, checking it out. He had an 03 Response w/tower setup. He did pull my boys for a run on the wakeboard. The water depth in some areas measured 2.7 feet on the perfect pass meter to 3.6 feet. Not sure how accuate that is. He stated that he will talk to the powers to be to see if they will pump another couple of feet and maintain it there.

I have an 99 response... I dont like to be pulling anyone in water less than 10 feet. Maybe i'm being a little to careful but boats are expensive and running them on dry land and ruining props get expensive. Plus i think it is dangerous for the riders.

If the lake was built for slalom sking it will only be a few feet deep because the normal slalom boat has very little if any draft. The lake for a wakeboard boat such as the VLX should be 7' - 10' otherwise you will probably ruin the prop, and fins and have little or no return on the wake making capabilities.

I would be worried about riding in 2.7-3.6 feet of water! Say your boat needs 2ft of water and one of your rollers comes by and you dip down 2ft. At that point your going to hit the bottom. My depth gauge is set to go off at 3ft and everytime that alarm beeps it scares me!

Thanks for all the input. It made me think about things that I did not consider. I think I will pass on the membership.

Gordon

I've run my boat a number of times on a private lake that ranges from 2.5 to 6 feet for most of the lake. It is a bit disconcerting at first looking at the small numbers on the depth gauge, but once you lean to trust that the lake really is that depth, I stopped worrying. From the standpoint of damaging your boat, I don't think it should be much of a concern. The other issue regarding the wake size and shape is a totally different concern. The depth does make a difference and you will not be able to get the kind of wake that you can with a deeper lake.

It's been said before, but if you're looking for wakeboarding, you need a good 8-10 feet or more to build a decent wake. Get into water much shallower than that and all the ballast and wedge in the world won't help. It'll just eat gas and increase your chance of grounding your running gear. If you're going to do three event, 5-8 feet is optimal preferably with a little added depth in the area of the jump landing. I've skied on lakes 3 feet deep before and getting out of the water on a deep water slalom start can be tricky.

I run the mighty Susquehanna, sometimes, the average depth is 8-10 feet and the wake is fine.

If water levels are low the average depth is 5-6 feet and the wake stops growing no matter how much ballast I run.

I have been in 4-5 feet water...the wake stinks and you are constantly churning mud up.

i have that issue my lake is on average 5-10 ft deep, and im disapointed on the wake i create. i go on a river near by , 30+ft deep. and the wake is drastically different.

I 2nd Malibududes! Rockon.gif I was the the one with the 03 RLXi. I haven't had a problem hitting bottom with skiers. I also talked to caretaker and he is going to bring up the water level. There is a lot of good input here and maybe we can get them to raise it a few more feet.

If you are going to be in shallow water it really helps if you know the lake. A lake we frequent is owned by a relative who also skis, and we know that there is nothing on the bottom but mud. So no matter how low it gets in August we know that the only thing we can hit is mud. And its been low, like waist deep on someone who is 5' 6". Its a little scary when you pick up a rider and you can see eye to eye with them. But we have never had a problem. As for the skiers hitting bottom, the only thing I have ever touched bottom with, unintentionally, was my ski.

But like its been stated you want as much depth as you can get. Not because the boats cant run shallow, but just because the wake for boarding/surfing will be much better.

3-6 feet of water seems like a pond... i wouldnt chance that, especially with wedge or ballast

pond I was thinking more puddle, I would be scared stiff in anything under 7-8 feet let alone 3 feet, just getting a boat on plane alone you would have to be very carefull.