Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Magic eraser

I have read quite a few discussions about cleaning vinyl with magic erasers, so that is what I did. Almost immediately I could see that the sheen on the vinyl is completely gone.....just a dull look remains. I had my concerns, as I have used them to take scuffs off painted baseboards. Looks good but it is abrasive enough to remove the sheen from the paint too. I know you are supposed to follow up with the 303 protectant, but does it make up for that finish the eraser removes? I do not want to go any further....the "always test first" rule is in effect right now. Thanks for any input gang.

Dave

I have read quite a few discussions about cleaning vinyl with magic erasers, so that is what I did. Almost immediately I could see that the sheen on the vinyl is completely gone.....just a dull look remains. I had my concerns, as I have used them to take scuffs off painted baseboards. Looks good but it is abrasive enough to remove the sheen from the paint too. I know you are supposed to follow up with the 303 protectant, but does it make up for that finish the eraser removes? I do not want to go any further....the "always test first" rule is in effect right now. Thanks for any input gang.

Dave

Another Dave from Kamloops... what the...? Good thing we don't both have the same boat. Ha ha. Did you put your boat in the water this weekend? We were out at the Shuswap last week doing some maintenance and I was in the water working on the Dock and practically froze my legs off. This weekend didn't feel any better.

My understanding is that the magic eraser is a mild abrasive so it will do and continue to do exactly what you've experienced. Personally, I wouldn't use it, but some swear by them on this site.

It works like a champ. We used to use them here at the shop on Details. It does completely remove all marine vinyl protectant. 303 will not restore that. It will take about 3 years for the damage to affect the upholstery.

Dave

Another Dave from Kamloops... what the...? Good thing we don't both have the same boat. Ha ha. Did you put your boat in the water this weekend? We were out at the Shuswap last week doing some maintenance and I was in the water working on the Dock and practically froze my legs off. This weekend didn't feel any better.

My understanding is that the magic eraser is a mild abrasive so it will do and continue to do exactly what you've experienced. Personally, I wouldn't use it, but some swear by them on this site.

Hello fellow Dave! Yes I was in, also did some dock maintenance, but surfed for about 45 mins in 54 degree water. Bought a $54 wetsuit from Costco and it worked great. I was in Blind Bay for the ride.....air temp was a little better there. Thanks for the reply....I don't think that is the result I want....those seats should shine dirty or not. I'll wait for more responses.

Cheers, Dave

It works like a champ. We used to use them here at the shop on Details. It does completely remove all marine vinyl protectant. 303 will not restore that. It will take about 3 years for the damage to affect the upholstery.

Thanks Pat. What do you use as a protectant then? I will have this boat for ages so I don't want to strip the seats down right off the bat.......they do clean the snake skin pattern in a hurry.

Dave