Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ignition Switch Problems

Hello all,

I have a 95 Reponse and have been having troubles with it not engaging the starter when the key is turned.

My first step was to replace the ingition switch but thought I would post before doing that.

Here are my symptoms:

Often the first start of the day I will prime the engine

turn the key and nothing will happen neutral pin is out and the throttle is down about a quarter.

The threads on the ignition switch are almost stripped the metal ring that holds it to the dash comes off often.

I will then keep turning the key to the start position and sooner or later it might start. Once it starts I do not turn the engine off until the end of the set. We live on the lake so we do not go an entire day on the boat, maybe an hour or 2.

I have checked the wires leading to the switch they appear to be properly secured.

Is there somewhere else I should check for loose connections?

Your insight will be appreciated...

Hello all,

I have a 95 Reponse and have been having troubles with it not engaging the starter when the key is turned.

My first step was to replace the ingition switch but thought I would post before doing that.

Here are my symptoms:

turn the key and nothing will happen neutral pin is out and the throttle is down about a quarter.

The threads on the ignition switch are almost stripped the metal ring that holds it to the dash comes off often.

I will then keep turning the key to the start position and sooner or later it might start. Once it starts I do not turn the engine off until the end of the set. We live on the lake so we do not go an entire day on the boat, maybe an hour or 2.

I have checked the wires leading to the switch they appear to be properly secured.

I think you may be right.

IT sounds like you need a new one, even if thats not the issue. It does sound like a bad switch though.

you say it is the first start of the day, does it start fine after that?

Hello all,

Here are my symptoms:

I think you may be right.

IT sounds like you need a new one, even if thats not the issue. It does sound like a bad switch though.

you say it is the first start of the day, does it start fine after that?

Well, it still will do it warm but it seems like it will work with a little less toggling. I think it is about the same just feels like it works better when you know it has worked.

My fear is that it will be a holidy (like this weekend) we will be having a party and have 4 people waiting to go skiing and it won't work AT ALL!

I will replace the switch, any idea how much I should pay?

I am just going to go to the local Bu dealer not mess around with the ebay or online route.

Could be something loose in the ignition - sounds likely. This should be similar SkiDim ignition switch.

Could also be something in the Neutral Safety switch in the throttle too. I believe that won't engage the starter when not in in neutral or neutral button engaged.

Typically the lanyard/safety switch will let the engine turn over, but won't start & the dash gauges are dead too.

You should be able to test it with circuit tester - or bypass the switch with a piece of 12 GA wire.

Terminals should be marked clockwise with a B (Battery), S (Solenoid), I (Ignition), A (Accessory).

When key on, should have +12V at I,A. When key to start, should have +12V at S, I.

it could be your start relay or your starter solenoid.. check 12v at both of those locations while someone is holding the key to start

it could be your start relay or your starter solenoid.. check 12v at both of those locations while someone is holding the key to start

O.k. I put a new switch in and still same problem, so I have eliminated the the switch as being the culprit.

I needed a new sitch anyway so not upset that it did not fix the problem.

This is a 95 response, there is no safety lanyard,

I have tried messing around with the neutral wondering if it is the problem. (pin in, pin out) not the problem.

The boat is set up to where I don't need the key to run the Accessories, I just flip the switch corresponding to the correct switch and they run (blower, bilge, stereo, etc)

When I take the engine cover off and turn the key it if the starter does not engage i still hear a "click'' which makes me think it is not the solenoid.

When buying the switch at the shop I explained the problem and they mentioned it could be a "flat" spot on the starter? anyone beleive this?

I want to be sure it is the starter before replacement.

Where is the start relay? and how do I test it?

First, just to be sure check the battery connections make sure everything is tight. If you just hear a click when you turn the key and the battery is good and the cables are ok odds are the starter failed. Cry.gif

First, just to be sure check the battery connections make sure everything is tight. If you just hear a click when you turn the key and the battery is good and the cables are ok odds are the starter failed. Cry.gif

By "starter failed" I assume I am now in the market for a new starter?

if so, where should I look to get one? go to the dealer?

what degree of difficulty is it to replace yourself. I have VERY limited engine knowledge but can follow instructions well.

If it is located under the engine or something like that I guess I will have to take it to the dealer.

Any knowledge would be helpful...

must be the starter,has the motor ever cut out when your driving along?

Edited by phataz5

check ns having same problem sometime start other time not someone here suggested to check ns it was rusty and replace with new from skidimm not problem since hope this helps

check ns having same problem sometime start other time not someone here suggested to check ns it was rusty and replace with new from skidimm not problem since hope this helps

The motor has never cut out when I have been driving along once it starts it runs strong.

Now am sure I am going to be laughed at but, I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "check ns" Please explain... and how to "check ns"

Usally it will take around 3-5 turns of the key before the starter will engage. Last night I hopped in and the starter engaged on the first try.

When the starter works it sounds normal and the boat will start right up. I am just afraid I am going to be on the sandbar with a bunch of people when it finally stops working all together...

How hard is it to replace a starter?

First check your battery connections, especially the ground (at the battery, the engine block and starter). Be sure that the connections are tight and clean. Once you've done that (and assured it's not the ignition switch and there's no safety switch) it has to be the starter. Most likely it's the solenoid (that engages the starter) and takes the most wear and tear with the repeated starting that normally occurs on a boat. Locate the starter and the solenoid (on a Chevy the solenoid will be on the top of the starter and on a Ford it will be remotely mounted). The solenoid will either have 3 connections (on a Chevy 1 from the battery and 2 small wires) and 4 connections (on a Ford one from the battery, one to the starter and 2 small wires). The wires that you’ll need to test are the small wires; they take the voltage from the switch and activate the starter. Next, get another person to help you with this test, as well as a 12 volt tester. Have one person turn the key to the start position while the other person uses the tester to check the small terminals for 12v. The tester should show voltage as the key is turned from start to run. If you have voltage there, try hitting the starter with the wooden handle on a hammer. The vibration may cause the small terminals inside the solenoid to make contact and turn the starter over. If this works, the problem is most likely the contact terminals inside the solenoid. There's usually only 2-3 bolts holding the starter, but before unbolting it always disconnect the battery first. However, once you have the starter out there’s other components (brushes, bendix gear, etc.) that should be checked or replaced. Try a good auto parts store (Napa) for a new or rebuilt marine starter…

Edited by scfdfireman

To answer your question changing a starter is pretty darn easy as long as you can find the starter.

1. Disconnect the battery.

2. Drop old starter by removing 2 1/2" bolts from underneath

3. Move the wires one at a time to the new starter

4. Bolt the new one up

Obvioulsy you can mix the order up a bit, but you get the idea. Make sure you paint the new starter before putting it on, just don't paint the connection bolts.

Skidim is a good source for parts and they will give you free tech support.

-Chris

The motor has never cut out when I have been driving along once it starts it runs strong.

Now am sure I am going to be laughed at but, I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "check ns" Please explain... and how to "check ns"

Usally it will take around 3-5 turns of the key before the starter will engage. Last night I hopped in and the starter engaged on the first try.

When the starter works it sounds normal and the boat will start right up. I am just afraid I am going to be on the sandbar with a bunch of people when it finally stops working all together...

ns neutral safety switch it is on transmission has to srews just un screw it and look for rust mine had it and used sandpaper to clean worked for next two outings so i bougnt new one for peace of mind 10-15 dollars no problems since

give the starter the "HAMMER" test... rap it with a hammer while someone turns the key... if it works, wala!! flat spot on the starter

ns neutral safety switch it is on transmission has to srews just un screw it and look for rust mine had it and used sandpaper to clean worked for next two outings so i bougnt new one for peace of mind 10-15 dollars no problems since

Alright try to figure this one out...

I have run the bu the last three days. 3 days ago I replaced the switch, ran it 2 hours straight. I get in last night turn the key and the starter kicks in immediately, i figured it was a fluke. Tonight get in the boat and same thing starter engages like a champ. With the starter problems it has usually been starting it only once or twice a week. All symptoms have disappeared since running it everyday

your help will be appreciated...

That is pretty common for a bad starter. Some days it works some days it dosen't. I have a truck that needs a starter it wouldn't start for 2 days just a click and now it has been starting fine for a week.

It's just luck or a fluke that the starter is working again (pretty common though). One thing for sure, it'll quit again soon and probably when you're out on the water. Have a paddle ready or a tow line as it can ruin your day...