Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Samson Mirror Problems

RobertN

I purchased an '07 247 and have been extremely happy with the boat. There was pitting on the Samson mirror arm, so for $20 they polished it and added grooves to the arm bracket to make it stay in place better - they are great.

But, I just spent my first weekend with the mirror and the experience wasn't quite what I expected. Unfortunately I have two problems that I'm not sure I can work around.

First, with the extended bimini, the height of the mirror limits my view distance, leaving the possibility that I will be unable to see hand signals from the rider.

Second, my two Wetsounds Pro 60's on the right side create a huge blind spot.

Has anyone run up against these, are there any good solutions? I love the mirror, but I'm afraid I may have to sell it and buy a stock unit.

Rob.

Sounds like some thing will have to go and for me the mirror would be the first.

I wouldn't have figured the Pro 60 to be a problem, what about moving the mirror bracket over to the middle a little bit more?

Sounds like some thing will have to go and for me the mirror would be the first.

I wouldn't have figured the Pro 60 to be a problem, what about moving the mirror bracket over to the middle a little bit more?

I've tried moving toward the middle, but it quickly ends up partially in the walkway (and I'm an obstacle magnet).

Not having the stock mirror, what's are its downsides?

Rob.

I've tried moving toward the middle, but it quickly ends up partially in the walkway (and I'm an obstacle magnet).

Rob.

we just bought a samson mirror arm and exteme mirror. Have not got it in yet but hope to this week. I hope we dont have the issues you are having.

Issues with the stock mirror Cons are: never stays in place, is on the middle glass so it is alwas being moved when people go up front, you cant really see your rider when surfing, you cant open center windshield when surfing for air(big one in texas), boat cover is always getting caught on it, Pros are:.... Dontknow.gif cant think of any.

Rob.

we just bought a samson mirror arm and exteme mirror. Have not got it in yet but hope to this week. I hope we dont have the issues you are having.

Issues with the stock mirror Cons are: never stays in place, is on the middle glass so it is alwas being moved when people go up front, you cant really see your rider when surfing, you cant open center windshield when surfing for air(big one in texas), boat cover is always getting caught on it, Pros are:.... Dontknow.gif cant think of any.

Thanks for the info! I will work more with it this weekend. Sounds like I'd be trading one problem for another. Maybe someone with a the pair of 60's on each side has a picture of where they mounted the Samson. It wouldn't be the first time I'm just not seeing the obvious.

I have a pair of Titan Alpha 1's on my tower with the Samson mirror arm/Cipa Extreme mirror. I do lose some of the full field of view on the starboard side due to the speakers and the array of boards in the racks. I can still see the entire wake just fine. I haven't found it to be a problem, more of a nuisance.

I don't think I have full field of vision either and if I need to see the rider when they are out of the mirror view I just turn around. It would be nice to see everything but the Malibu tower when loaded with racks/boards and speakers closes the field of view.

I can only say I would not trade my Samson mirror and would never go back to the stock one that was installed on the pass through window. I like leaving the window open when we boat (its usually 90 to 105 degrees). Hated the stock mirror, and not sure it had full field of vision anyway, often passengers were in the way. With the Samson being higher, the passengers never obstruct my view.

Thanks for the info! I will work more with it this weekend. Sounds like I'd be trading one problem for another. Maybe someone with a the pair of 60's on each side has a picture of where they mounted the Samson. It wouldn't be the first time I'm just not seeing the obvious.

I have 2 pairs of Pro 60's on my 23lsv, I do have a small blind spot on my right that the 60's block, but for the most part, a great field of vision. I had the stock mirror and hated any location I put it and it was a pain. I really like my samson and wouldnt go back to the stock mirror on a bet :)

not sure how much this will help, but here is a pic of my mirror.

BUmirror60s.jpg

I purchased an '07 247 and have been extremely happy with the boat. There was pitting on the Samson mirror arm, so for $20 they polished it and added grooves to the arm bracket to make it stay in place better - they are great.

But, I just spent my first weekend with the mirror and the experience wasn't quite what I expected. Unfortunately I have two problems that I'm not sure I can work around.

First, with the extended bimini, the height of the mirror limits my view distance, leaving the possibility that I will be unable to see hand signals from the rider.

Second, my two Wetsounds Pro 60's on the right side create a huge blind spot.

Has anyone run up against these, are there any good solutions? I love the mirror, but I'm afraid I may have to sell it and buy a stock unit.

Rob.

I too have a similar setup. Hated the stock mirror because the kids would pass through and not return it to closed position. I felt like I was at home constantly telling the kids to turn off lights if they're not using them. So at the begining of last season I went to the Samson mirror. Just as you, I had two issues to overcome; the extended bimini top created a huge blind spot especially during intial pull of the rider until the bow rise decreased and the blind spot created by the tower and speakers.

I liked the additional shade provided by the extened bimini, but it severly blocked visibility and being 6' tall nearly everytime I would return from the swim platform to the cokpit I would smack my forehead in the edge of the extended bimini. So the extended bimini was removed and now lives in the garage nicely packed away; first issue solved. The second issue can only be solved by having your head on a swivel. It's definitely not an optimal situation, but soon it will soon become second nature.

Love the Samson mirror Clap.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having two issues with my mirror:

1. I also have a large blind spot on the driver's side.... I can't outside the wake at all. I just turn around or listen to everyone on the boat.

2. The rubber that goes between the tower and the mirror clamp is coming apart..... Has anyone found something else that will work?

Thanks

Brett

I'm having two issues with my mirror:

1. I also have a large blind spot on the driver's side.... I can't outside the wake at all. I just turn around or listen to everyone on the boat.

2. The rubber that goes between the tower and the mirror clamp is coming apart..... Has anyone found something else that will work?

Thanks

Brett

I just got a new Mirror and there isn't any rubber?? Is there supposed to be?

Morry

I don't have any rubber between the tower and mount - got it on the group buy last year so it isn't that old. I don't know why you would need anything between the mount and tower - it is very tight and doesn't move at all. There is a couple of blind spots, but nothing major. Great mirror - 5 stars all the way.

I installed some rubber just to keep the powder coat from being damaged.

That makes sense - I don't plan on ever taking it off, but if I did I am sure there would be some blemishes on the tower. To late now, but it is a good suggestion for those who haven't mounted theirs yet.

I got it used and from reading these replays I think he added the rubber......

I'm going to look for some that would work....

I got it used and from reading these replays I think he added the rubber......

I'm going to look for some that would work....

Mine doesn't have any rubber, and when I removed the bracket there were no scratches.

• 7 months later...

I purchased one of the Samson mirrors during the last group buy. At the end of 09 and never got to install the mirror due to the season being cut short by temps.

Last night I went to install the mirror arm and found that It did not fit tight around the tower. It was nice and tight on the top and bottom of the tower but there was a gap of 1/2 inch or more in the inner length area of the mount. Is this normal? or maybe did I get an arm for the Illusion X instead of the XS i needed?

I could just use some rubber spacer material to keep it nice an tight. I just wanted to make sure I had the right arm.

Typo

Edited by cyoda44

I will be buying a samson mirror for my VTX this year. I don't even use the stock mirror it is so bad. Cant wait to get the new samson. If anybody doesn't like theirs (lol) I would be happy to take it off your hands.

I purchased one of the Samson mirrors during the last group buy. At the end of 09 and never got to install the mirror due to the season being cut short by temps.

Last night I went to install the mirror arm and found that It did not fit tight around the tower. It was nice and tight on the top and bottom of the tower but there was a gap of 1/2 inch or more in the inner length area of the mount. Is this normal? or maybe did I get an arm for the Illusion X instead of the XS i needed?

I could just use some rubber spacer material to keep it nice an tight. I just wanted to make sure I had the right arm.

Typo

The Illusion x tower is not as wide as the XS if my memory serves me right.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, thats pretty cool $20 for a new polish, ive had the samson mirror last summer but i was constantly putting back into place, it keeps moving around no matter how tight it is.

Have you guys contacted Samson about these issues?

I have not contacted Samson. I wanted to determine if I had the wrong arm first. A call would probibly be in order since I have not received a confirmation of exact size.

Typo

The XS tower is a long and skinny oval where the IX tower is fat and shorter.

From the sounds of it you have the right tower mirror, they have to leave some tolerance on the ends so you can slide the mirror as far left and right as you want with out running into any fit issues. Plus he built in a tolerance because the tower size can change a little bit from tower to tower. All the strength in clamp is top to bottom so once you snug it down it will be tight.

I've used this mirror plenty of times and have never had any issues with it moving on me (maybe on a really big wake?) As long as you have all the bolts snug it shouldn't move on you. If you are having to tighten that stud on the back side of the mirror a lot you should pull the nut off and throw a lock washer or blue loc-tite the stud so you don't have to deal with tightening it so often.

Hope this helps you out, Samson does a great job and takes a lot of pride in their products so if you ever have any questions or concerns i would contact them.

-Paul

The XS tower is a long and skinny oval where the IX tower is fat and shorter.

From the sounds of it you have the right tower mirror, they have to leave some tolerance on the ends so you can slide the mirror as far left and right as you want with out running into any fit issues. Plus he built in a tolerance because the tower size can change a little bit from tower to tower. All the strength in clamp is top to bottom so once you snug it down it will be tight.

I've used this mirror plenty of times and have never had any issues with it moving on me (maybe on a really big wake?) As long as you have all the bolts snug it shouldn't move on you. If you are having to tighten that stud on the back side of the mirror a lot you should pull the nut off and throw a lock washer or blue loc-tite the stud so you don't have to deal with tightening it so often.

Hope this helps you out, Samson does a great job and takes a lot of pride in their products so if you ever have any questions or concerns i would contact them.

-Paul

Thanks for the info... Your explanation makes allot sense. I have not tried the mirror on the water yet and expect the mirror arm will stay where I bolt it down.