Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing mounting plate

ralong

I would like to install a strap or similar system to secure my emergency box. It is just a plastic waterproof toolbox with my jumper, tools, gun (joke) etc. Next to the battery in my sportster lx is a perfect place. I think something similar to a battery strap would be adequate with easy release. West marine sells mounting plates but I am not familiar with drilling into my boat yet. I need the basics. help!

thanks in advance

You should be fine. Just don't use screws that are much longer than the floor is thick. It would also be wise to make sure there aren't electrical wires, steering cable, etc. below the floor in the area you plan to mount the strap anchors.

One other thing to keep in mind: If the area is carpeted, I would recommend marking your screw locations and using a Xacto knife to cut through the carpet in those spots. This will keep the screws from pulling threads/causing runs in your carpet.

I haven't been in a Sportster in a couple years. So, i can't remember if you have a floor access close to the front. If not, you may be able to shine a flashlight under the floor, towards the front from the motor box. However, you won't be able to see on the other sides of the stringers.

Hopefully someone more familiar w/ the closed-bow boats will chime in.