Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead DD oil change

I am going to attempt changing the oil on my 07 RXLI with Hammerhead motor for the first time. Any tips, suggestions or previous posts you can send me to? Any special tools I should have? Any comments on type of oil or filter? I would assume the owners manual will tell me how many quartz I need.

Thanks in advance!

I am going to attempt changing the oil on my 07 RXLI with Hammerhead motor for the first time. Any tips, suggestions or previous posts you can send me to? Any special tools I should have? Any comments on type of oil or filter? I would assume the owners manual will tell me how many quartz I need.

Thanks in advance!

Any one? I'm about to do the same thing.......

My local dealer spoke to Indmar during his training last year and they suggested "Valvoline VR1 racing SAE 50". I have been running this since my first change. I use very little oil between changes. The HH is very picky on oil. Also, I follow the instructions below when draining.

SERVICE ADVISORY

Date: 4/27/2005

Advisory # SV2005-2

SUBJECT: 383 Oil Drain Issues

We have had some reports of 383’s not taking an appropriate amount of fresh oil after an oil

change. The issue is that all of the old oil is not being drained from the engine so there isn’t

room to put 5 quarts of oil back into the engine before the oil reaches the “full” mark on the

dipstick.

The oil drain fitting on the 383 oil pan is not directly on the bottom of the pan like it is on a

standard 5.7L engine. In order to get all of the oil out of the pan during an oil change, the

following precautions must be followed:

1. The engine (oil pan) must be sitting as close to level as possible, preferably with the

front of the boat slightly lowered in an in-line boat or raised in a V-drive boat. The goal

is to try to get the bottom of the oil pan at least level or tilted with the front of the pan

slightly lower than the rear.

2. It is critical that the banjo fitting attached to the oil drain on the pan be oriented so it is

level with the bottom of the oil pan or pointing slightly down. If the banjo fitting and

hose is pointing upwards at all, all of the oil will not drain out of the pan.

Note: It might also be helpful to raise the starboard side of the boat in an in-line application or

the port side of the boat in a v-drive application by several inches to make sure that the oil

flows toward the drain hole and not away from it. Driving the trailer onto 4 “ or 6” blocks on

the appropriate side of the trailer will help.