Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion X vs XS

CrazyTegger

Is the Illusion XS physically built larger/stronger than the Illusion X. I'm not talking about height of the tower, but width and overall breadth. Width at the attachment to the hull. Is there more surface attaching to the boat than on the Illusion? Is it thicker overall?

Does this mean that the potential issues with the 'weak' Illusion X are resolved with the Illusion XS?

Is the Illusion XS physically built larger/stronger than the Illusion X. I'm not talking about height of the tower, but width and overall breadth. Width at the attachment to the hull. Is there more surface attaching to the boat than on the Illusion? Is it thicker overall?

Does this mean that the potential issues with the 'weak' Illusion X are resolved with the Illusion XS?

My view on both towers just coming from the X to the XS. The illusion X is a heavier tower. It's thicker, weighs more and moves side to side less. The crossbar sits lower so that makes it easier to get into garages. All the nutserts they used in the tower sucked though, I hated that. They didn't wire it worth a crap either.

The illusion XS is more thought out, wired better, sits taller so better for walk under clearance, weighs less, and the spring tension holds the tower up off the dash when it's collapsed. The rack locations are better, as well as the speaker locations. The difference in the mounts to the boat are neglegable in my opinion. The cross bar on the XS sits about a foot taller with the tower collapsed so you have to take it off to get it into the garage = pain in the butt.

Overall the XS is not a sturdier tower but it does look and function better minus the crossbar issue. I would take the XS over the X for looks and functionality alone. The X was to heavy to me and caused the nutserts on the tower base to collaps in my last boat so I wasn't able to tighten the base anymore.

Edited by 06vlx