Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bad Experience

etherbunny

I'm fairly novice at discussion boards. Recently bought a "rope guide" for my tower pylon in an attempt to eliminate the problem of rope hanging up on the rack and boards. I tried it on two pulls and found it wasn't quite long enough to solve my problem and when I inquired about returning the item in original box with packing and at my cost I was informed that they would only guarantee it to work with certain towers and pylons and since I didn't tell them which one I had they were not responsible for me trying to "rig-it" to my boat. I have an '08 with illusion tower and Metcraft swivel racks-hardly a rare bird needing "jerry-rigging"

They finally agreed to accept the package at my cost providing I agreed to a 25% restocking fee and that if they deemed it not to be pristine then they will further deduct from my refund.

I do not intend to use this merchant again but since I found the thread on one of these forums didn't know if others should be warned. I don't want this site to become a forum for all the woes of the boating world but it could help people from propagating bad websites.

Let me know. If appropriate I will furnish more specifics, if not I will write this one off as a bad investment and either give it to a friend with a fitting rig or make a birdhouse out of it.

etherbunny

Masters bound (spectating only!!#@)

MalibuNation
I'm fairly novice at discussion boards. Recently bought a "rope guide" for my tower pylon in an attempt to eliminate the problem of rope hanging up on the rack and boards. I tried it on two pulls and found it wasn't quite long enough to solve my problem and when I inquired about returning the item in original box with packing and at my cost I was informed that they would only guarantee it to work with certain towers and pylons and since I didn't tell them which one I had they were not responsible for me trying to "rig-it" to my boat. I have an '08 with illusion tower and Metcraft swivel racks-hardly a rare bird needing "jerry-rigging"

They finally agreed to accept the package at my cost providing I agreed to a 25% restocking fee and that if they deemed it not to be pristine then they will further deduct from my refund.

I do not intend to use this merchant again but since I found the thread on one of these forums didn't know if others should be warned. I don't want this site to become a forum for all the woes of the boating world but it could help people from propagating bad websites.

Let me know. If appropriate I will furnish more specifics, if not I will write this one off as a bad investment and either give it to a friend with a fitting rig or make a birdhouse out of it.

etherbunny

Can you post a link to this product w/o naming the merchant ... maybe from the manufacture's website?

etherbunny

Can you post a link to this product w/o naming the merchant ... maybe from the manufacture's website?

Plus1.gif

etherbunny

Apparently not . The manufacture is Fly-High but the only link is through the merchant. Incidently, I had a chilling moment yesterday and sent him a bury the

hatchet email to which he responded favorably. Bottom line I will try to goodwill this thing to a boater this summer and maybe get some pulls for it.

thanks for the responce

EB

I'd say it's water under the bridge and let it go.

Yeah the same thought came over me yesterday and I sent him a "life's too short" kinda email

He chilled and may a nice offer, I gratefully declined, reclined and will no doubt find a

boat/tower it works with and maybe get a pull or two for it

EB

You are right that life is too short, but IMO that is still BS. I used to be a Fly High rep. Those rope guides are "one size fits most". If they weren't going to take it back if it didn't fit they should have confirmed it would work before shipping it to you. 25% restocking fee is absurd for a retailer if there's nothing wrong with it.

So many sides to every story. But your best bet is to not use this vendor again and tell your friends about your experience.

I've had a few very bad experiences with much more costly items, and its funny how many are no longer in business. If truly poor customer service, it has a way of propagating itself and will come back around.

Also, let it be known that the Illusion is not a "standard" or "conventional" tower. It's on a lot of boats & yea, they should have been more clear about what it fits. But it isn't exactly uncommon for accessories to either not work at all on the Illusion, or require a mod or special bracket to make it work (SkySki racks for example). This may not be the last time this happens for you.