Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Purple Wakesetter

Stick

Looking at purchasing a '00 Wakesetter. ~250 hours. Last registered in '06, so has been sitting around a while. Currently at a used boat dealer that pics up dealer trades, auctions, etc. Has a tower, no racks, no wedge, no balast, no radio. Gel coat and interior in decent shape.

NADA avg 18,570, tower 1000, trailer 1050 for grand total $20,620. They have it at $22,500.

Who has seen a purple Malibu, how common a color was it?

If it has sat for a couple of years, what are the main things to check out?

I've been told a Wedge is about $1200 installed. How much to hook up an auto fill/drain balast and would I start with the ski locker?

First items to purchase would be cover, board racks, and stereo. Any suggestions on brands to look for with these?

What do you think would be a good deal on this boat?

For that price I would think you could find something that already has a wedge and ballast

and a color that you might prefer. Not saying that there is anything wrong with purple but

it is not common and not for everyone. (might have resale issues) I would also be a little concerned

with the fact that it has apparently been sitting and has very low hours. I have an 06

with 250 hours and I only put 40 on it last year.... Cry.gif I am sure others will chime in!

Good luck!

It is called Black Iris. I like it. I bought it. It was offered in '00, '01, '02 not '04 & I don't have an '03 brochure to check. I't's not Barney purple, it's way deeper & darker than that. I would'nt want the whole boat that color, but as an accent it's good & the piping on the seats looks striking too.

From what I'm seeing up here in Oregon that price is not any too good, especially for a boat that has no specific history (as in it's not in the owners garage and he can tell you all about it). In the Bend craigslist there is a '02 '23 LSV for 22K that looks pretty nice and there was another '00 LSV for 19K that I know personally. It's a nice condition boat, but looks a bit dated with the old black pipe Tuna Tower. The owners just want out from under the loan.

But on the other hand - if it's nice, and it passes the inspection/test drive, and you like it, it's probably worth that. Good Luck !!

Edit: Click on my name & look at the gallery. There is a couple shots of the Black Iris!

Edited by Hman442

It's still a buyers market, forget what you've seen, figure out what you want and how much you want to spend. And then go find it. That price sounds too high for a boat with basically no options, no solid history, its only in decent shape cosmetically, and priced 2k higher than NADA. Good luck with your search!!

My buddy has a 2000 Response with the Black Iris main stripe. Be ready for continuous joking about the boat being purple. Clap.gif The boat is going on 9 yrs old, which he purchased new, and the bringing up any chance to remind him his boat is purple never gets old. My favorite is when somebody new sees the boat and says he/she likes the purple...he always has to tell them the color is actually black iris while I'm fighting back the laughs...I know, more than anything I just need to grow up. I remember when his young son first began to talk, I coached him into saying purple boat.

It does look nice, and in low light can look black. Many people seeing it from a distance think it is black.

I bought a 2000 VLX last year with only 230 hours on it. The benefit was that I bought it from a person who knew the history, but apparantly the original owner purchased it for his son that passed away the week he got it. It sat in storage for a few years collecting dust. The second owner bought it and did all the work to it (added tower, stereo, etc.) and sold it to the third owner with around 170 hours on it. The third owner sold it to me because their son was going to college. Short story long, there are various reasons why people sell boats and I wouldn't be too afraid of an older boat with low hours if everything checks out. My boss has a 2005 Wakesetter with 50 hours on it because he only uses it at his lake house a few times a year.

Thanks for the help guys. I don't think this one is the black iris. It's not very dark purple at all, it's much more pastel. It's kind of like a sports coat Sonny Crocket would wear in Miami Vice. I can't seem to be able to post a pic or I would show it to you. We could live with it, but at the right price and they are not there yet so I'll keep looking.

This boat is in DFW, isn't it? If it's the boat I'm thinking of, I'd offer less than 22.500 for it, if thats the boat you want. This boat has been for sale for a long D_ _ M time. I can't imagine they wouldn't work with you on that price. As others have said, this is still a buyers market. I can't imagine they wouldn't see this boat off their lot.

J

This boat is in DFW, isn't it? If it's the boat I'm thinking of, I'd offer less than 22.500 for it, if thats the boat you want. This boat has been for sale for a long D_ _ M time. I can't imagine they wouldn't work with you on that price. As others have said, this is still a buyers market. I can't imagine they wouldn't see this boat off their lot.

J

Yeah, that's the one. I have yet to begin to deal with them. Not my first choice in color and I'd end up throwing money into it with radio, racks, wedge, balast, etc. and that's if it even runs well. I'll continue looking and see what happens.

it most likely IS Dark Iris. Not sure why its called that, but it is a light purple. My daughter's were allowed to pick our colors the last year I promoed in 2000, and that was our main color. it is with Grey and Blue. Its different, not all that bad, and sometimes we do call it the barney boat.

and here's an '00 Black Iris Response (unfortunately not the greatest resolution photo, but the trailer gives a pretty good idea of the color):

2000ResponsewithFlyHigh.jpg

sounds crazy but i saw a purple and yellow trimmed in orange setter one time. To this day that is one of the sweetest malibus I have seen.