Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I need a new prop

Hobdog

Hello everyone,

I own a 2008 Wake setter VLX, and last weekend the prop was damaged. I am not very technically proficient and am basically looking for any recommendations on what kind of prop I should buy to replace it. I do plan to have the current prop repaired so I can have a spare.

Thanks

To start with,

What was your last prop?

Were you happy with it?

If no where would you like to gain? Acceleration, top end, holding speed??

How much weight and people do you usually carry?

Are you cruising? wakeboarding, surfing, skiing, tubing??

To start with,

What was your last prop?

Were you happy with it?

Are you cruising? wake boarding, surfing, skiing, tubing??

It is pretty embarrassing but I am not sure what the original prop is. I couldn't it on line anywhere and my papers and books are on the boat in storage. Not knowing any better I would say that prop was fine. I rarely have more than 8 people on the boat and even then 2 or 4 are small children, I know we don't tote the weight most people do with the same boat. We do more cruising and wake boarding than anything else. I guess I would have to classify it as a family boat.

Hello everyone,

I own a 2008 Wake setter VLX, and last weekend the prop was damaged. I am not very technically proficient and am basically looking for any recommendations on what kind of prop I should buy to replace it. I do plan to have the current prop repaired so I can have a spare.

Thanks

When you say damaged....Did you hit something hard?

Acme 1235. Better gas mileage. Better hole shot. As long as you don't run over 5k rpms alot the best prop IMO.

I guess I have never really paid attention to the rpms, I usually pull riders between 18 and 21 mph, and cruise generally around 30 to 35 mph, any guesses on where that would have my rpms.

Hello everyone,

Thanks

When you say damaged....Did you hit something hard?

The edges are bent, like all boating mishaps its a long story, but the short of it is that the prop hit the boat ramp, not bad but enough to bend the edges.

To start with,

What was your last prop?

Were you happy with it?

Are you cruising? wake boarding, surfing, skiing, tubing??

It is pretty embarrassing but I am not sure what the original prop is. I couldn't it on line anywhere and my papers and books are on the boat in storage. Not knowing any better I would say that prop was fine. I rarely have more than 8 people on the boat and even then 2 or 4 are small children, I know we don't tote the weight most people do with the same boat. We do more cruising and wake boarding than anything else. I guess I would have to classify it as a family boat.

The 1235 is the wrong prop for your needs becauseof your requirments above. For me I would think your stock prop is a 537 and would think a 381 would fit your need best. I have to get back to work but will give more detail later.

The 1235 isn't for crusing around nor is the OJ 468. Those props are for those that load up the boat, you'll be burning more fuel by running high RPM's w/ those props.

The 1235 isn't for crusing around nor is the OJ 468. Those props are for those that load up the boat, you'll be burning more fuel by running high RPM's w/ those props.

How about the Acme 1589. Higher pitch and cup than the Acme 1235 and OJ 468. Seems like you should gain some holeshot without losing top end. It's a new prop this year too, from what I hear.

Thanks for all of the input, I think I am going to go with either the ACME 537, or the OJ 475. Does anyone know how these props differ?

Thanks for all of the input, I think I am going to go with either the ACME 537, or the OJ 475. Does anyone know how these props differ?

Isn't the 537 your stock prop?

Isn't the 537 your stock prop?

I have know idea, It very well may be. I could not find information on the stock prop anywhere. If it is I didn't have any problems with the prop, I just figured if I was going to buy a new one I would check to see what others (people like yourselves who are FAR more knowledgeable about your boats than I am) would recommend.

OJ 475 has more bottom end and you might lose 1-2 mph on top end

OJ 475 has more bottom end and you might lose 1-2 mph on top end

I lost about 5-8mph when I switched from the acme 537 to the oj 475. Top speed now is only about 40mph (Monsoon 340 engine).

The Difference (in terms of holeshot getting a wakeboarder up) in equation form is this:

Monsoon 340 + OJ 475 + Boat fully loaded w/ people, water, and wedge = Monsoon 340 + Acme 537 + boat with driver and no ballast

I love the OJ 475 it makes my boat feel light even when its completely loaded down. The engine doesn't seem to struggle at all.

Unless you load the boat down w/ alot of people and weight I probably would stay w/ the Acme 537 because I don't think you would benefit from the OJ475 or Acme 1235. In fact, you may miss the top speed capabilty. It all just depends on how you use the boat.

Edited by shade

The oj475 is a 14.25x14.50 where the acme 1235 is a 14.5x14.25 pretty close to the same. Malibududes favorite is the oj468 14.25x14. All great choices for serious pulling. If you are looking to run stock weight the original 537 13.5x16 works well. If you need one i have a couple brand new ones i will make a great deal on.

I'm still recommending the 537 if your going to change props with your current needs. Plus I'm sure you will find some one with a used one for a good price.

Not every one needs the low end performance from props like the 1235 475 or 468. The bottom line for me is you have to know how the boat is being used and what do you want in performance at the end of the day. some times we need to give up holeshot for top end or vise verca.