Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black tower hot??

steemin

I am getting ready to order my 2009 VTX. Rockon.gif

The question that I have is does the black illusion towers get hot?

It seems to me that being black they would get really hot to the touch?

Obviously my option is to go with a color matched tower if this is the case.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Scott

Scott

I've never noticed it being hot, however I don't sit on it or touch it much either.

Scott

Never a problem here. But don't remember touching it much on top. We have a bimini up most of the time.

Scott

I've never noticed it being hot, however I don't sit on it or touch it much either.

I have never had a boat with a tower before but I would imagine that when one is walking around in the boat or pulling boards off of racks etc. that contact with the tower is unavoidable.

I actually like the look of the black tower better with my chosen color scheme but I am concerned about the tower getting hot on those 90*+ days?

Scott

Can't say I've noticed it being too hot to touch, but after having dark grey vinyl anything is cooler... :)

Man, ain't that the truth. I have a black Titan & yea it gets a bit warm, but never so hot that you touch it & burn yourself. But the tiny bit of darker grey upholstery in our boat...... if you sit on that you know it in a hurry! Surprised.gif

To all those that say black towers don't get hot :blush: you obviously have never had a black tower in Arizona :unsure: Yes! they get real freak'n hot Cry.gif

To all those that say black towers don't get hot :blush: you obviously have never had a black tower in Arizona :unsure: Yes! they get real freak'n hot Cry.gif

I'd be more worried about your Vinyl than your Tower. It's metal. No matter what color it is, it's going to get hot on sunny summer days. The top of your hull will get hot. The Vinyl is what you're going to notice the most. Even white vinyl gets hot. If a black tower was a concern for burns, Malibu wouldn't have made it that color.

I can't say I've ever noticed it being something to avoid touching. One reason may be that the Illusion is made of cast aluminum I beleive which is very good at dissipating heat. I wouldn't let it stop you from getting a black illusion if that's what you want.

AirJunky mentions the Titan, but I think it is made of stainless which holds heat much better than aluminum.

It gets nice and HOT in texas and i would rather hang on to the black tower then to stand or sit on my seats sometimes. Dontknow.gif

Like was said earlier I guess since it is cast alum. and hollow it doesnt hold alot of heat. Just the normal surface heat that anything will have when the sun is beating down on it.

congrats on the new boat order Thumbup.gif

Edited by txwakejunkie

I have a black illusion....never had an issue with the tower getting hot enough to notice.

Now the vinyl...a whole different ball of wax! Cry.gifMad.gif

Scott

I have an 07 vlx with the black illusion tower. I live in Texas and it has not been an issue. i believe it might have to do of its aluminum construction appears to dissipate the heat pretty well. enjoy trae

Thanks again for all the advice and input.

I just ordered my 09 VTX this afternoon (4-6 weeks delivery).

Decided to go with a Yellow Tower.

Boat is mostly yellow and IMHO it will look nice with a black bimini.

And yes I kept the interior colors as light as I could..

Scott