Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tracking Fin Replacement - Need Help

Hey everyone,

I am in the process of replacing a tracking fin that was sheared off by a log. The bolts ripped right through the fiberglass. The fix does not seem to hard however I am already stuck. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? Has anyone had experience pulling up the floorboard panel on a 2001 Malibu VLX? I pulled the two visible screws out however I could not get it to budge? Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated? I am not too keen on the repair estimate coming in at 1K for minor fiberglass work and bolting a fin on!

You really have to pull the seat support on the rear of the boat to get the gas tank out. It will also make pulling up the floorboard alot easier.

The $1k usually comes from the 5 hours it takes to pull apart the back of the boat and put it back together.

-Chris

You really have to pull the seat support on the rear of the boat to get the gas tank out. It will also make pulling up the floorboard alot easier.

The $1k usually comes from the 5 hours it takes to pull apart the back of the boat and put it back together.

-Chris

I just did the same thing about a month ago, its really not very difficult but that rear seat frame does have to come up anyway to get the gas tank up, then the floor comes up quite easily. It took me maybe an hour to take it apart and about the same amount of time to put it back together once I had the bottom fixed, I reinforced the other fin too while I had it all pulled up.

-Chris

That's what I was afraid of. I didn't really want to have to take that much stuff apart. Thanks!

-Chris

I just did the same thing about a month ago, its really not very difficult but that rear seat frame does have to come up anyway to get the gas tank up, then the floor comes up quite easily. It took me maybe an hour to take it apart and about the same amount of time to put it back together once I had the bottom fixed, I reinforced the other fin too while I had it all pulled up.

Did you patch the holes and then re-drill them or did you just bolt up a new fin? Did you patch the gelcoat at all? Any info on what you did to remedy your situation would be great? I think I am going to give it a shot sometime this week or next...can't go more than a weekend without my boat! Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks!

-Chris

Did you patch the holes and then re-drill them or did you just bolt up a new fin? Did you patch the gelcoat at all? Any info on what you did to remedy your situation would be great? I think I am going to give it a shot sometime this week or next...can't go more than a weekend without my boat! Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks!

My dealer recommended that I reinforce the inside with fiberglass so I did, it just doesn't take much. Some of the gelcoat had been ripped off so I took some Marine-tex after the fiberglass dried, and from the underside I filled the holes and then smoothed off the bottom with it also. The good thing about the marine-tex is it can be sanded, drilled, and tapped, and it won't shatter if it is bumped. I did drill and tap the holes, and I took some 3m 4200 and put in the holes, the part of the fin that fits against the boat, and sealed it when I bolted it up tight. If you have any more questions about specifics just let me know. Good luck.

-Chris

My dealer recommended that I reinforce the inside with fiberglass so I did, it just doesn't take much. Some of the gelcoat had been ripped off so I took some Marine-tex after the fiberglass dried, and from the underside I filled the holes and then smoothed off the bottom with it also. The good thing about the marine-tex is it can be sanded, drilled, and tapped, and it won't shatter if it is bumped. I did drill and tap the holes, and I took some 3m 4200 and put in the holes, the part of the fin that fits against the boat, and sealed it when I bolted it up tight. If you have any more questions about specifics just let me know. Good luck.

Totally appreciate the help. I am gaining more confidence to get the job done and I almost have the gas tank out. However I can't believe how many screws and bolts are holding the back rest and seat frames together and wouldn't you knowe it a few of them are stripped out.

How did you detach the gas tank from it's brackets. From the tank or from the frame of the boat? Did you use a special paint on the spots that you smoothed out to fill in the damaged gel coat area?

-Chris

Totally appreciate the help. I am gaining more confidence to get the job done and I almost have the gas tank out. However I can't believe how many screws and bolts are holding the back rest and seat frames together and wouldn't you knowe it a few of them are stripped out.

How did you detach the gas tank from it's brackets. From the tank or from the frame of the boat? Did you use a special paint on the spots that you smoothed out to fill in the damaged gel coat area?

I took the bolts out of the boat and left the brackets bolted to the gas tank. On mine to get the gas tank out there was one bolt on front of the v-drive that had to come out for the gas tank to be able to slide out, its a pretty tight fit. I didn't paint the bottom, the marine-tex came in white and I just used it with no other color, the biggest thing is to get it sealed back up good so it doesn't leak, nobody can see it anyway and all you can see on mine is the 3m adhesive that I used to seal the edges of the fin. Anyway, Good luck...

-Chris

I took the bolts out of the boat and left the brackets bolted to the gas tank. On mine to get the gas tank out there was one bolt on front of the v-drive that had to come out for the gas tank to be able to slide out, its a pretty tight fit. I didn't paint the bottom, the marine-tex came in white and I just used it with no other color, the biggest thing is to get it sealed back up good so it doesn't leak, nobody can see it anyway and all you can see on mine is the 3m adhesive that I used to seal the edges of the fin. Anyway, Good luck...

Thanks, that is all great info I plan on getting after that gas tank tonight. Didn't get much done over the weekend couldn't resist going to the lake in 98 degree air temp! Went with a buddy in his boat of course.

-Chris

Thanks, that is all great info I plan on getting after that gas tank tonight. Didn't get much done over the weekend couldn't resist going to the lake in 98 degree air temp! Went with a buddy in his boat of course.

Can't say that I blame you, let me know how it goes...

Hey everyone,

I am in the process of replacing a tracking fin that was sheared off by a log. The bolts ripped right through the fiberglass. The fix does not seem to hard however I am already stuck. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? Has anyone had experience pulling up the floorboard panel on a 2001 Malibu VLX? I pulled the two visible screws out however I could not get it to budge? Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated? I am not too keen on the repair estimate coming in at 1K for minor fiberglass work and bolting a fin on!

I was curious about a log taking out the fin. Was it a free floating log (huge?) or did you hit a stump? How fast were you going?

I was telling a buddy about this who owns a Nautique and of course he said that he had impaled logs before with his fin and caused no damage.

But he said he was not at top speed though.

He implied that he wondered how well they were attached to Malibu's versus Nautique and I had no information to defend Malibu's structural integrity.

So I was wondering about the accident details and the attachment details of the fin?