Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

R/C boat charge

snowrider

We just purchased our first R/C boat - traxxas villain. Super fun toy to mess around with while anchored. Came with 7.2v batteries and AC/DC charger. We tried charging the batteries while on the boat from our portable jump starting battery pack -hooked up the aligator clips but it wouldn't charge. The battery pack has been used to run a ballast tank pump before so I thought it would be able to provide a charge to the 7.2v batteries. Anyone charged these style batteries while on their boat?

We just purchased our first R/C boat - traxxas villain. Super fun toy to mess around with while anchored. Came with 7.2v batteries and AC/DC charger. We tried charging the batteries while on the boat from our portable jump starting battery pack -hooked up the aligator clips but it wouldn't charge. The battery pack has been used to run a ballast tank pump before so I thought it would be able to provide a charge to the 7.2v batteries. Anyone charged these style batteries while on their boat?

you can buy a cig lighter,charger that does 3 different volt batteries for 20 bucks,works great.

Spend a few more dollars and get a Nitro boat. We have them and they are very fun. Mine goes about 35 mph and my partner has a one that does 50+.

Spend a few more dollars and get a Nitro boat. We have them and they are very fun. Mine goes about 35 mph and my partner has a one that does 50+.

Can you provide link to the models you have? Are they gas (nitro) or electric? Or were you saying that the boats are nitro powered (I thought you meant brand).

martinarcher

They are a blast. I have a Traxxas Nitro Vee and my brother has the Traxxas Blast.

If I were to buy another one it would be the Villain. Electric kicks nitro's butt now that there are brushless motors and A123 batteries available plus you don't have the mess of the oily nitro fuel in your boat. IMO Nicads and brushed motors are a thing of the past! Check this baby out. It would almost keep up to almost anyones towboat - on glass Thumbup.gif ....

martinarcher

Can you provide link to the models you have? Are they gas (nitro) or electric? Or were you saying that the boats are nitro powered (I thought you meant brand).

They are talking about boats made by Traxxas. They make excellent RC products. Here is their marine product line...

http://www.traxxas.com/products/trx_marine.htm

Go hit up a hobby shop. They will have a charger designed to hook to your battery.

I have one of the Nitro powered Traxxas boats and it is a blast to run it. It even has a separate electric motor that will engage by remote if the engine stalls. The motor brings the boat to shore at an idle speed which allows you to avoid having to wade out to get it. The engine is electric start and it starts quickly and easily.

I have the Traxxas Tmax 4x4 truck. The things are a blast. Maybe I need to stop into a boat instead for slow days on the lake.

Go hit up a hobby shop. They will have a charger designed to hook to your battery.

The charger I bought has the aligator clips for charging to a battery, but my portable battery jumper

wasn't charging it for some reason and it (the battery jumper) is showing full charge). I will go

try and find a cigarette lighter style and try that. Thanks for the replies.

If you have the 12 volt charger, hook it to the boat (Malibu, not RC) battery. Many of those jumper packs arent' really 12 volts....or they can only supply a limited amount of current or something. The alligator clips are designed to hook up like this.

You could always make a cig lighter adapter to connect hte allligator clips to, but then you are relying on your stock cig lighter wiring. Hence why it comes with alligator clips to go direct to the battery.

Any thoughts on how that will draw down the boat battery while charging a couple of 7.2v batteries. Thanks.

martinarcher

Not bad at all. I fly RC planes and use my car battery to run my Triton charger (will charge anything under the sun). I've never had any trouble starting the car even after charging batteries all day (6+ hours).