Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

prop shaft removing

working on a 2006 wakesetter at my repair shop w/ bent prop shaft. problem is getting shaft out of coupling at trans end

set screw is removed & are using shaft puller. prop shaft will not move. what step are we missing to remove shaft?.

also found prop shaft packing nut hand tight only. but how due you gain access to tighten up packing nuts?

ok got flange loose, but how due you gain access to get nut off? remove trans or remove rear engine mts & tilt forward?

Edited by gary gorton

i would cut the shaft at the coupler with a sawzall, since your not reusing the shaft and coupler (usually a coupler comes with the shaft) for your packing nut, you can get a packing wrench from bakesonline.com for a reasonable price.

UIM, the set screw in the coupler is there to keep the nut on the forward end of the prop shaft from coming loose. Un bolt coupler from trans drive flange, seperate coupler and remove nut from front of prop shaft.

UIM, the set screw in the coupler is there to keep the nut on the forward end of the prop shaft from coming loose. Un bolt coupler from trans drive flange, seperate coupler and remove nut from front of prop shaft.

Plus1.gif Remove the very large (1-1/16" IIRC) nut then pull the coupler off, slide the shaft out.

-Chris

ok got flange loose, but how due you gain access to get nut off? remove trans or remove rear engine mts & tilt forward?

Seperate the coupler. Have someone hold the prop or wedge a piece of wood in there. Remove nut. Some have said they had to make a special tool to fit between flanges...I used a 1/2" drive ratchet & socket. But mine is a DD. You'll probably need to raise the rear of the boat off the trailer & remove the rudder in order to get the shaft out. I did.