Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Erratic Depth gauge

I have an '04 Response LXI and the depth indicator has started to become erratic. It might be a bad connection, or a poorly mounted sensor, but I can't seem to find it... Does anyone know where it is?

Please let me know, so I can check it out before I bottom it out!!

Thanks

I have an '04 Response LXI and the depth indicator has started to become erratic. It might be a bad connection, or a poorly mounted sensor, but I can't seem to find it... Does anyone know where it is?

Thanks

At the front of your engine compartment there is a panel with 4 screws in it. Remove these screws and lift the panel out. Looking forward you should be able to see the base of your ski pylon, your bilge pump and the transponder for your depth sounder. Good luck. Mine's been flashing .5ft for a year now.

Thanks

At the front of your engine compartment there is a panel with 4 screws in it. Remove these screws and lift the panel out. Looking forward you should be able to see the base of your ski pylon, your bilge pump and the transponder for your depth sounder. Good luck. Mine's been flashing .5ft for a year now.

I have an 05 Response LXI and it's been fixed twice and is broken again. Just blinks .5 ft all the time. I don't think Malibu can get these to work. Replaced the control module and the sending unit at the same time and that didn't help. I gave up on it.

Your problem may be an air gap between the transducer and the hull. One easy way to see if this is the problem is to fill the bilge with water just so the bottom of the transducer is underwater. If your unit reads correctly you just found the problem. You need to take the transducer out and epoxy it back in. (After you dry the bilge of course LOL) When you mix the epoxy stir it slowly so as to NOT introduce bubbles into the mixture. Scuff the hull with some 330grit sand paper to give it some tooth.

Edited by apexeon
Your problem may be an air gap between the transducer and the hull. One easy way to see if this is the problem is to fill the bilge with water just so the bottom of the transducer is underwater. If your unit reads correctly you just found the problem. You need to take the transducer out and epoxy it back in. (After you dry the bilge of course LOL) When you mix the epoxy stir it slowly so as to NOT introduce bubbles into the mixture. Scuff the hull with some 330grit sand paper to give it some tooth.

Yes, but not if the transducer is in a hole cut through the hull. That's the way it was installed originally in my boat.

Yes, but not if the transducer is in a hole cut through the hull. That's the way it was installed originally in my boat.

Thanks for the correction. My statement was only for the "shoot thru" type transducer. That is what my older Response had and I'm suprised that Malibu would have a thru hull transducer although you get speed and temp with that type as well.