Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballat Tank Connections

I purchased a 04 Wakesetter 23 LSV back at the end of February. I found a broken ballast tank connection over the weekend after I discovered water in the boat. The broken connection is from the port side, rear ballast tank. The connection is located at the top front of the tank. I assume this is the discharge when the tank is full. No problem with filling or draining. Is it easy to replace? What part do I need? Should I call my local Malibu dealer for the part or can I pick up at hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot) or boat parts store (West Marine)? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I just replaced one this weekend and i got it from my local hardware store. Im sure that i have seen them at home depot. around $2

Isn't that fitting like a regular NPT fitting or something.. remove it from the tank (it just threads in) and take it to 'the depot'.. I think you might find something like that in the garden section - hose fix kit.. I don't know, but check it out

I eventually replaced all of mine, even the plugs on the back side before I took the tanks out and replaced them with sacs. The factory fittings are very soft and will even sometimes pull out of the tanks. Replace them with the harder plastic ones from Home Depot or Lowes. Be very careful not to over tighten them or the female inserts in the tanks will crack and then you have a problem.

I eventually replaced all of mine, even the plugs on the back side before I took the tanks out and replaced them with sacs. The factory fittings are very soft and will even sometimes pull out of the tanks. Replace them with the harder plastic ones from Home Depot or Lowes. Be very careful not to over tighten them or the female inserts in the tanks will crack and then you have a problem.

I wondered about this. At the end of last year I was noticing a bit more water in the bilge than normal. When I pulled the boat out for the year, I noticed the pump on the back side of the mid-ship tank was loose (the one right by the drain). So this spring I tightened it up good. And this weekend I had very little water in the bilge by the time I pulled the boat Sunday evening. Thumbup.gif

3/4 NPT x 3/4" hose barb fitting.

I remember reading in another thread that it is a 1" NPT rather than 3/4". Are you positive that it is 3/4"?