Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Last please help question!

tuckryan

Guys thanks for your help on my last post (97 VLX) but that boat sold before I could put a deposit on it. Totally my fault. Anyway, my local malibu dealer has this 99 VLX that is offered to me at $22k. What do you think? It is in good shape, there is one tear in the upholstery but other than that is really clean. It does have a ballast system, tower etc. It doesn't have perfect pass or a bimini.

The trailer is in decent shape, one fender has a few dents but nothing that should effect towing. It also has a swing away tongue that is necessity to fit in my garage.

When I book it out I can only come up with about $18.5 for the boat and $1500 for the trailer. My quandry is that I don't think I have much more negotiating room and I would like to establish contact with a local dealer and he is a reputable guy. I want this boat to work in the worst way but don't know if I am being financially responsible paying more than the NADA value. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Mal...er-VLX-94905603

PS - I am pre-approved for a loan at 6.5% so all I have to say is go and its a done deal.

Guys thanks for your help on my last post (97 VLX) but that boat sold before I could put a deposit on it. Totally my fault. Anyway, my local malibu dealer has this 99 VLX that is offered to me at $22k. What do you think? It is in good shape, there is one tear in the upholstery but other than that is really clean. It does have a ballast system, tower etc. It doesn't have perfect pass or a bimini.

The trailer is in decent shape, one fender has a few dents but nothing that should effect towing. It also has a swing away tongue that is necessity to fit in my garage.

When I book it out I can only come up with about $18.5 for the boat and $1500 for the trailer. My quandry is that I don't think I have much more negotiating room and I would like to establish contact with a local dealer and he is a reputable guy. I want this boat to work in the worst way but don't know if I am being financially responsible paying more than the NADA value. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Mal...er-VLX-94905603

PS - I am pre-approved for a loan at 6.5% so all I have to say is go and its a done deal.

Make sure and do an on the water test first. If the dealer really is a stand up guy he won't balk.

I know from experience.

My first Malibu had a cracked block when I bought it and I didn't find out until the second weekend I had it. I did get the dealer to install a short block for free, but it was a lot hassle.

Edited by woody

I will say one thing, that boat interior and exterior looks in great condition based on the photos. Probably much better than the average boat out there from that year. What is your price range?

Thanks for the responses fellas. I will make sure to do a on-water test before I buy it. Thanks for the advice. My price range is pushing it at $22k. I originally started out looking at $15k but decided I wanted a V-drive and something that I wouldn't feel like I would need to upgrade soon so I have pushed my budget into the low $20's. Ideally I would like a wakesetter vlx, a Super sport nautique or a (gasp) 205v. I do like the local malibu dealer and have heard mixed reviews of the MC dealer so I am kinda leaning towards a 'bu. Thanks again.

I bought a 2002 vlx in excellent condition with 254 hrs for $23k about 2 months ago in Orlando. The dealer was asking $26,500 but I offered $22,000 and we settled at $23,000. Just remember that it never hurts to make the man an offer because he just might take it.

Thanks guys I will ask him to book it out. That is a great deal on that 02. Bill, your boat looks ridiculous!

Pictures sure can make a boat look great...until you see it in person you never know. When I bought my 99 Sunsetter about 3 years abo I ran it on the water for a solid hour. I wasn't taking any chances there. That included stopping and starting the engine a dozon or so times. I would still make an offer much lower than the asking price. He may have more wiggle room than you think.

Thanks guys I will ask him to book it out. That is a great deal on that 02. Bill, your boat looks ridiculous!

Thanks.... I think. Rockon.gif

Good luck on it. Like WMH said, test drive it for a while. I'd even bring your board/ski/foil & your own drive & take it for a run!! Gotta make sure it suits you all the way around!

As for the Wedge, I don't even use mine. I like the wake & the way the boat performs with just weight. It would definitely have an effect on the value though.

Thanks again guys. Bill that was meant in a good way. Great looking boat. I have been in the boat (although not on the water) and it is in as good as shape as it looks. I will make sure to take it out on the water before any money exchanges hands. It doesn't have a wedge but honestly I haven't used the wedge before behind the Malibus I have been in. Just personal preference but I do understand why it sould be important from a resale point of view. Thanks again. I am going to make an offer in the morning and hope it doesn't offend him!

Ryan