Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

raw water intake filter?

Portugue

I was told I should add a raw water intake filter to my 02 LSV since where we ski there is a lot of sand and duckweed. Has anyone done this and what do you recommend?

I was told I should add a raw water intake filter to my 02 LSV since where we ski there is a lot of sand and duckweed. Has anyone done this and what do you recommend?

used a sherwood, got it from http://www.skidim.com

JUst make sure to check it each time out. THese do not get installed from the factory because w/o constant maintenance, they end up reducing flow to dangerous levels when they get clogged.

The filter stops debris that won't really hurt the engine, so.......good to keep it out of there, just don't let it clog your filter.

[JUst make sure to check it each time out. THese do not get installed from the factory because w/o constant maintenance, they end up reducing flow to dangerous levels when they get clogged.

The filter stops debris that won't really hurt the engine, so.......good to keep it out of there, just don't let it clog your filter.

Gotta take issue with these two statements.

1) My previous boat (2000 Supra) came from the factory with one; I cleaned it maybe 2 -3 times a season max UNLESS we boated on lakes high from heavy rains etc which washed a bunch of crap into the water. In that case I'd check it every day. Took maybe two minutes to pull it, dump it out, rinse out the screen in the lake, and reinstall. Not a big deal.

2) I've pulled fair sized twigs, full oak leaves, styrofoam, etc out of mine, again usually after being in a high water situation. I can't imagine a twig or tough oak leaf getting hung up in the water passages in the heads somewhere i.e. could be very good for the engine cooling. But I guess I could be wrong...

Ed

[JUst make sure to check it each time out. THese do not get installed from the factory because w/o constant maintenance, they end up reducing flow to dangerous levels when they get clogged.

1) My previous boat (2000 Supra) came from the factory with one; I cleaned it maybe 2 -3 times a season max UNLESS we boated on lakes high from heavy rains etc which washed a bunch of crap into the water. In that case I'd check it every day. Took maybe two minutes to pull it, dump it out, rinse out the screen in the lake, and reinstall. Not a big deal.

2) I've pulled fair sized twigs, full oak leaves, styrofoam, etc out of mine, again usually after being in a high water situation. I can't imagine a twig or tough oak leaf getting hung up in the water passages in the heads somewhere i.e. could be very good for the engine cooling. But I guess I could be wrong...

Ed

Thanks. I was more concerned about causing problems for the impeller. Is that not an issue?

Ed

I have a hard time believeing that a twig or good sized leaf is going to make it through the impeller in any shape that it would block water passages.

Ed

I have a hard time believeing that a twig or good sized leaf is going to make it through the impeller in any shape that it would block water passages.

I have pulled all sorts of stuff out of the transmission cooler, which is past the impeller. Leaves or seaweed will not block passages in the engine, but most certainly will block the cooler. All of the water goes through the cooler first before the engine.

Edited by kiley

Anyone have photos or install details for a 340 hp Monsoon setup? The raw water intake on my '05 RLXI comes pretty much straight up from the bilge straight to the impeller housing, trying to picture how it would go in-line in that setup. Don't think you'd mount it with the bowl sideways would you?? Dontknow.gif

Ed

I'm getting one installed on my 09 VLX. My Sons coach sucked up weeds into his boat causing it to overheat. It took sveral hours of disassembly/assembly to clean it all out. Its more preventative than anything else, our lake is pretty clean.

Thank you Davemac, that's exactly the info I needed. Looks like mounting the strainer bowl sideways isn't an issue. Yeah it's primarily preventative but to me it's damn cheap insurance, especially compared to the cost of repairing an overheated engine.

As an aside - to everyone who frequents this board but hasn't yet seen fit to support it financially - consider joining or at least making a small contribution. What a huge resource this board is; I've learned more in less time than I'd have thought possible. If you see the value of belonging here as many have, the monetary investment is peanuts for what you get back in information alone. To say nothing of the humor factor... :)Thumbup.gif

Ed

As an aside - to everyone who frequents this board but hasn't yet seen fit to support it financially - consider joining or at least making a small contribution. What a huge resource this board is; I've learned more in less time than I'd have thought possible. If you see the value of belonging here as many have, the monetary investment is peanuts for what you get back in information alone. To say nothing of the humor factor... :)Thumbup.gif

Ed

Plus1.gif Also, were it not for this board, I would not have just been motivated to wake up to the unique smell our boats bring, by climbing under the cover at 6am to snaps those photos to help out brother Ed. :werule:

By the way Ed, I did not install the strainer myself...it was there when I bought the boat. As you may be aware, it is an incredibly simple device, takes but a moment to clean, and visually allows you to see that water is flowing. I don't venture much into weeds, but did pull a leaf and a twig or two out of the screen at the end of the season. I believe they come standard on most CorrectCrafts that I have seen...not to assume they know better, but I doubt they would waste the $$ if they didn't see the benefit.

Edited by davemac
Plus1.gif Also, were it not for this board, I would not have just been motivated to wake up to the unique smell our boats bring, by climbing under the cover at 6am to snaps those photos to help out brother Ed. :werule:

By the way Ed, I did not install the strainer myself...it was there when I bought the boat. As you may be aware, it is an incredibly simple device, takes but a moment to clean, and visually allows you to see that water is flowing. I don't venture much into weeds, but did pull a leaf and a twig or two out of the screen at the end of the season. I believe they come standard on most CorrectCrafts that I have seen...not to assume they know better, but I doubt they would waste the $$ if they didn't see the benefit.

I assumed you probably had the photos on file, wow Davemac. My sincere thanks and appreciation to you, you are truly a brother indeed. Notworthy.gif

Agreed, they must see benefit to include them stardard issue. Mine will have one very soon.

Ed