Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ur Wisdom needed on boat choice Part 2

Stick

From all the help with my previous post, I've been able to narrow my search to a Sunsetter. In my area there is a 95 LXi and a 98 LX both with around 300 hours. What is the difference between those years? Are they on the same hull? What makes a LXi different than an LX? The older boat has a tower, the newer boat has the Wedge....which would be more costly to add so I would rather it allready be on the boat?

Thanks so much.

Sunsetter LXi = Diamond Hull

Sunsetter LX = Wake Hull

The LXi didn't come out until ' 99 (IIRC) so the 95 cannot be an LXi. No.gif

With similar hours, similar condition, and similar price...obviously, take the newer boat. Yes.gif

Two major enhancements in '98: 1. rack and pinion steering, 2. servo gauges. '98 was also the year where most teak platforms were solid vs. slatted.

Looks like if you find what you want you better jump on it. My Sunsetter sold three weeks ago and there were three other Sunsetters for sale in CT, 1x LXi and 2x LX and they all sold within the last 10 days.

Edited by CTSunsetter
Two major enhancements in '98: 1. rack and pinion steering, 2. servo gauges. '98 was also the year where most teak platforms were solid vs. slatted.

Looks like if you find what you want you better jump on it. My Sunsetter sold three weeks ago and there were three other Sunsetters for sale in CT, 1x LXi and 2x LX and they all sold within the last 10 days.

Looks like the used market is looking up Clap.gif

The cost of a tower and racks is more than what it'll cost for the wedge and install. The difference is the wedge, unless you can find a used one, needs to be purchased through your dealer. Whereas a tower/racks can be purchased anywhere and installed by anyone. I'd suggest if you end up w/ the '98 and add a Titan I tower for $1,200. IIRC CTSunsetters boat has a Titan on it.

The SLXI didn't come into the lineup until '99

Well things are moving but at what price, I know I gave away my 2000 Sunsetter...but it sold

I had many a low ball offer but stuck to my target. I was happy to be in a place where other than some minor storage inconviences I didn't have to accept those offers.

IIRC CTSunsetters old boat has a Titan on it.

Biggrin.gif

The cost of a tower and racks is more than what it'll cost for the wedge and install. The difference is the wedge, unless you can find a used one, needs to be purchased through your dealer. Whereas a tower/racks can be purchased anywhere and installed by anyone. I'd suggest if you end up w/ the '98 and add a Titan I tower for $1,200.

I'm with 'dude'. Admittedly I'm very biased to Titan thus I'd rather buy a boat without a tower and put a Titan on than have anything else, especially those early pre Titan towers 'bu had (don't remember the maker's name but those “boxy” ones).

You seem motivated to have a Wedge. There are other ways to make a wake larger without one: just add weight...

Oh and if you buy a boat with the CVP stainless prop, replace it!

Edited by CTSunsetter
Well things are moving but at what price, I know I gave away my 2000 Sunsetter...but it sold

I had many a low ball offer but stuck to my target. I was happy to be in a place where other than some minor storage inconviences I didn't have to accept those offers.

IIRC CTSunsetters old boat has a Titan on it.

Biggrin.gif

The cost of a tower and racks is more than what it'll cost for the wedge and install. The difference is the wedge, unless you can find a used one, needs to be purchased through your dealer. Whereas a tower/racks can be purchased anywhere and installed by anyone. I'd suggest if you end up w/ the '98 and add a Titan I tower for $1,200.

I'm with 'dude'. Admittedly I'm very biased to Titan thus I'd rather buy a boat without a tower and put a Titan on than have anything else, especially those early pre Titan towers 'bu had (don't remember the maker's name but those "boxy" ones).

You seem motivated to have a Wedge. There are other ways to make a wake larger without one: just add weight...

Oh and if you buy a boat with the CVP stainless prop, replace it!

Great comment on the prop I forgot about that, I'd suggest Acme 515 great hole shot and able to hold wake/surf speeds. I'm somewhat biased as well owning one on my old SLXI but in the end they are by far undeniably the strongest tower w/ the least amount of stress on the hull. After 8 years it held up w/ any problems, plus many owners of other towers ended up regretting not going w/ Titan. Thumbup.gif

Thanks for all the advice. Do the illusion towers off the new boats fit these older ones? If they did, are they crazy expensive compared to the Titans? How many people do these boats hold and is it the same between DD and V drive? I'd like to save as much space in the boat as possible instead of having fat saks all over, will the wedge do as advertised and give me = to 1000#?

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. Do the illusion towers off the new boats fit these older ones? If they did, are they crazy expensive compared to the Titans? How many people do these boats hold and is it the same between DD and V drive? I'd like to save as much space in the boat as possible instead of having fat saks all over, will the wedge do as advertised and give me = to 1000#?

Thanks

Not unless you find one made for the RLXI, even then there is a 1/2" difference and it may not work. For the most part the Illusion is made to fit 98" beams and larger, but they do come on RLXI's so smaller ones are possible to get but will cost 2-3 times as much as a Titan.

The wedge is stated by Malibu to give 1k down force on the transom.

How many people do these boats hold and is it the same between DD and V drive? I'd like to save as much space in the boat as possible instead of having fat saks all over, will the wedge do as advertised and give me = to 1000#?

Thanks

Whatever you do, buy a V-drive. You'll get about 4x the amount of storage and comfort for your guests compared to a DD.

I don't know why anyone would ever buy a DD unless it was for competition events.

Edited by Pistol Pete
I don't know why anyone would ever buy a DD unless it was for competition events.

That's a ridiculous statement. Anyone who wants better than a recreational level slalom wake is going to want a DD. Just because it's not important to you doesn't mean that it's not important to someone else. Are V-Drives more comfortable? Absolutely. But quality of slalom wake was more important to me that creature comforts.

That's a ridiculous statement. Anyone who wants better than a recreational level slalom wake is going to want a DD. Just because it's not important to you doesn't mean that it's not important to someone else. Are V-Drives more comfortable? Absolutely. But quality of slalom wake was more important to me that creature comforts.

Wow Michael,

I never thought I'd ever hear you utter such a thing.

Do you mean some people should be open to other people's opinions?

The LXi was not in existance in 1995. If someone is trying to sell you a 95 Sunsetter LXi something is WRONG. MDude is correct. 1999 was the first year of the Sunsetter LXi.

There are a few reasons people still buy direct drives, other than hardcore tournament people. Sure you can't get near the capacity and storage. But some people want handling and agility in a 'ski' boat. Plus the few grand less in drivetrain is nice to some.

v drives have come a long way in the ski wakes, but a v drive can't handle like a direct drive. Its like comparing a front drive car to a rear drive. ( Thats the best I can come up with )

My opinion of course.