Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle position sensor

Can the throttle position sensor be tested? My dashboard reads "throttle position sensor error", but I don't know how to verify this besides getting a new TPS.

Can the throttle position sensor be tested? My dashboard reads "throttle position sensor error", but I don't know how to verify this besides getting a new TPS.

With a lab top and proper program it can be tested, or if you have the Indmar wiring diagram you can read the actual voltage in and out.

Yes you can test it with a lab scope. Not to hard but you need the scope and most good auto shops have them. the boat would not need to be running so you could just stop in to the shop and have them back prob the TPS.

A DVOM can also be used but you may miss a flat spot, but it will tell you if you have power to the TPS and if the values change with throttle position.

Unplug it and take an ohm reading as you advance the throttle. Use the two outer pins in the plug. Reading should climb or drop nice and steady. Leave motor off. If I can find the values you should get, I will post them.

Edited by electricjohn