Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Straight

I have to hold the steering wheel 90° counter clockwise to go straight. Is this normal? This is my first inboard, so I don't really know what I should expect from the steering.

Due to the direction of prop rotation, I can understand if it is normal. If so, is there a way to minimize the pull?

If it is not normal, how can I address this?

See the string I wrote on my 2001 Sunsetter LXI..."How the site has helped me with my boat maintenance"...I tried to capture most of my issues with the boat, all of which I have fixed...including the two you ask here....

First, adjust the rudder trim tab, if you have one on your boat. See my post for that. If your has the little hydrofoil to adjust then you are golden. Otherwise you will have to grind the rudder. The site can explain how.

Now to straighten the wheel. Basically, go about 25 or 30 MPH, whatever your normal cruise speed is...go in a straight line, stop the boat without turning the wheel from the position it was in to go straight, go under the dash with a 7/16" socket wrench, remove the 4 nuts clamping the steering wheel shaft to the teleflex rack (flat black rectangular box), twist the box away from the shaft, disengaging the steering, move the wheel to straight aligned position, twist box back, tighten bolts. It takes 3 minutes. Simple.

I dont have an adjustable tab ('94 Echelon) and whipping out the angle grinder seems pretty risky if you don't know what you're doing. I'm really not concerned with the angle of the wheel as much as the severe pulling that I am experiencing.

You can turn your steering wheel 90 deg to make sure that a level steering wheel corresponds with going straight. Pretty typical of a steering cable replacment where the tech didn't bother to straighten up the rudder before hooking everything up.

As for the pull - its suppost to be like that you can grind a file but you'll be hard pressed to hold a straight line with a skier though the course afterwards.

-chris

So, when my steering wheel is at straight (0 degrees), my rudder is straight, but the boat doesnot go straight. Is that normal? Also, its a lot easier to turn right then left - Is that normal?

I have the same boat. There are a couple of things to look at. First, the pull to one side should not require a 90 degree rotation of the wheel, if it does there is too much rudder torque. As mentioned, you do want some torque as that makes these boats easier to hold a straight path with a skier, particularly in the ski course. Grinding the rudder is common practice for this type of boat to tune the steering to your particular liking. If you pull good shortline skiers that really pull on the boat at short line lengths in the course, you will want more rudder torque to give them a good pull. I would straighten the steering first, then determine how much torque you want. Yes, right turns are easier than left ones due to prop rotation torque, but is should not be really dramatic.

With the wheel straight and centered (same number of turns left and right from center) the rudder should have a very slight offset that would steer the boat to the right, due to prop rotation, so yes your statement is correct. An easy way to determine that is to run the boat straight and once out of the water set the steering wheel to that position and take a look at the rudder position. To adjust, you can either remove the steering wheel and recenter, or adjust the cable lock down at the back of the boat located just ahead of the rudder and between the mufflers. You will need to remove the 4 bolts holding down the cable bracket which clamp down the round ball, split that apart and move the grooved cable end one way or the other to center up the steering wheel. One groove is worth about 30 degrees of wheel rotation. Clean and lightly grease the ball as that allows the cable to articulate as the rudder arm moves.

The stiffness can be a couple of things, most likely a stiff steering cable or a stiff or loose rudder. The rudder needs to be greased, you will see a grease zerk on the rudder mounting bracket. You might want to dissassemble and clean up the shaft and get out any grime. Make sure you grease with marine grease that is waterproof. A loose or wobbly rudder can cause steering stiffness and should be corrected. The steering cable is a common maintenance item but is a bit of a nuisance to change.

Which post discribes how to grind the rudder? I don't have an adjustment tab unfortunatly. Is this something a DIYer can do with the right tools?

Edited by Dustin_360
So, when my steering wheel is at straight (0 degrees), my rudder is straight, but the boat doesnot go straight. Is that normal? Also, its a lot easier to turn right then left - Is that normal?

Yes and yes.

sounds like a good amount of load on it. While yes its your first inboard and it will handle differently, ask yourself; why do you want the boat to go straight? Having a constant load on the rudder is one of the reasons why inboards are so good to ski/ride behind, they give a strong consistent pull.

DONT go shaving your rudder.. to take load off it and to make it go straight means you would have to shave the left side of the rudder.. when people grind it, its to add MORE load like what you are saying you have! ive never heard of someone doing the opposite, who knows what could happen and it could go bad.

straighten the steering wheel 45 degrees if it bothers you and inspect the rest of the steering system.

Which post discribes how to grind the rudder? I don't have an adjustment tab unfortunatly. Is this something a DIYer can do with the right tools?

yes. all you need is an angle grinder.

i wouldnt go about doing it without someone experienced around.