Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Storage Nets Repair

I am on my 5th Malibu Wakesetter now and I have had the same problem with just about every boat. Eventually the bungee on the storage nets either get stretched out or they find away to become detached.

It looks to me like you would have to remove the carpeted frame to repair them and keep it looking factory.

Has anyone repaired these and what methods did you use. Post any photos is you can.

I see people that just cut it out. Sorry, I've never seen the stuff at stores in my travels. Maybe Dealer?

When I first got my boat I was told by a long time boat owner not to use the bungee storage because they look like Poo after a short time, so mine still look new :)

dude, call dealers across the country until you find a set on the shelf. I have an 01 and this year i replaced the nets. Found on the shelf for 48 bucks each. I know its a ripoff but i am on a kick to make my boat look PERFECT again....waaaay on the back of the shelf!!!!

I am on my 5th Malibu Wakesetter now and I have had the same problem with just about every boat. Eventually the bungee on the storage nets either get stretched out or they find away to become detached.

It looks to me like you would have to remove the carpeted frame to repair them and keep it looking factory.

Has anyone repaired these and what methods did you use. Post any photos is you can.

Which ones?

The bungee nets on the rear hatches are easy to fix. Just use a large tip screwdriver and pry off the capeted panel. They are only held on by plastic door panel fasteners. This will give access to re-attach the bungee. Then just push the carpeted panel back in position.

I haven't had to fix the front storage nets.

I have the same situation with my 05 storeage netting on each side of the boat. Would love to hear what others have done, and how the repair was made. I've looked at this on my RLXi and appears the only way to remove the old netting, and install new would be to remove teh side panels.

Which ones?

The bungee nets on the rear hatches are easy to fix. Just use a large tip screwdriver and pry off the capeted panel. They are only held on by plastic door panel fasteners. This will give access to re-attach the bungee. Then just push the carpeted panel back in position.

X2... I just repaired mine in the rear hatch (the one you can keep gloves in). This job just takes a couple minutes. I had to buy a one foot piece of bungee -that cost less than a buck. "Pop" off panel as stated, then re-staple bungee and netting where needed.

Which ones?

I don't mean to jump this thread but is the side panel under the driver dash attached the same way (with the plastic door panels fasters like you see in a car door)? If so I think my fasteners are stripped and it hangs a little loose and you can see the rough edge of the fiberglass.

post-8316-1241630972_thumb.jpg

I have replaced the port side storage netting. I tried to remove the entire panel, but the bolts were turning as I tried to loosen the nuts. This happened on 2 of the first four nuts I tried to take off so I stopped. The netting is held on as follows: Top edge, the end nearest the back of the boat is connected to a bungie cord. Its hooked through a metal eyelet in the top edge strap. Simply reach back and pull the hook out of the neting eyehole. The front edge is secured by a screw through the net strap (top edge). Then, the bottom of the net is stapled all around. I pulled the bungie hook out of the netting and unscrewed the front screw, then pulled all staples out by yanking slowly on the net from front to rear. Then went back in with pliers and pulled the staples out of the boat. Now, since I couldnt remove panel, I went back in the same way but stapled to floor edge nearest wall, instead of the side of panel...since there is not enough clearance to get my electric staple inserted to allow stapling to panel wall from the backside.

However, as I was doing that, I had posted this problem (bolts rotating) on another thread and got a good answer there...it was suggested that if I put two thin nuts on the end of the bolt that was rotating, I could jam them against each other tight, and then I could grab to outside nut (nearest the end) and hold it while I turned the securing nut off. I think thats a great idea and I plan to try it. If it works, I am going to use it on the other side.

I am amazed actually, that a 40k boat is made as "slap dash" as it is... I am always surprised at the manufacturing methods used when I get into the boat. This is not meant as a slam on the boat...I love my Malibu and its been a great boat, but it could be vastly improved...like why not install some sort of mount method that didnt allow mounting bolts to turn with the nuts? That would seem pretty basic.