Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thermostat

Is there any reason why a thermostat on a new wakesetter would not be covered under warranty? Boat is 1 and a half years old and has 110 hours.

Dealer is telling me $110 to fix and that he didn't think it would be covered by Maibu's warranty.

Thanks!

you could always change it yourself, very easy to do.....SkiDim has the Tstat, and both gaskets for just shy of $17. Time to chage it would be less than 30 minutes.

Don't rip me a new one but, who diagnosed the T-stat was bad and why?

Seems awfully unusual. And yes, why wouldn't that be covered under warr.?

I would tend to agree 100 percent.

I would tend to agree 100 percent.

New Maibu dealer in Reno "Michaels Power Sports" They summerized the boat and first told me the impeller was bad and the engine was running hot. They said it "dried up over winter" Keep in mind the impeller had less than 20 hours on it as I had done 100 hour service before winterization last fall.

After the new impeller was put in they told me engine was still running hot, and that they needed to change the thermostat. That's when he told me he didn't think it would be covered by warranty.

This is all strange to me as the boat has never run hot, and all I have done is make sure to have it serviced at all suggested times I winterize and summerize even though it is stored in a heated garage. I just have a bad feeling about what they are telling me.

Edited by Jdog55

Just spoke to someone from Indmar..

If the Thermostat failed and stopped working then it would be a warranty issue. If it was jammed with debris etc.. causing it to fail then no warranty.

Looks like I need to call dealer and ask about the part, to see the part and find out why it wasn't working.

Seeing as how I use this boat on the cleanest clearest lake I have ever seen, not sure where the debris would come from.

Thanks everyone for you help.

Why would debris cause a thermostat to fail ? Just clean it out and refit. They are such simple devices.

Why would debris cause a thermostat to fail ? Just clean it out and refit. They are such simple devices.

I don't even know what a thermostat looks like man... That's why I am here asking the questions. If this is true.. That you could clean it out and refit it, I will definatly ask why that wasn't done when I go pcik it up and look at the part.

Thanks for the help!

jdog,

You need to go to another dealer.

They're tellin' you that your boat has problems that you've never encountered?

Diagnosis is extremely fishy then, the "might not be covered under warr." total B.S.

The likelyhood of the thermostat being stuck open is slim. That also leads to the next problem if you have wood in a thermostat it sticks it open not closed there for runs cold not hot. I get tons of outboards through the shop with debris in the thermostats causing cold running issues but ive never had a inboard in for that. With the hours on your boat you shouldnt have any issues with impellers etc. What i have seen is people not getting the fake a lake up tight and running it low on water hence running warm and possibly damaging impeller. About your warranty it is covered if a thermostat is faulty. But not for impellers that is a serviceable part. If you keep having issues i am sure we can fix it for you.

The likelyhood of the thermostat being stuck open is slim. That also leads to the next problem if you have wood in a thermostat it sticks it open not closed there for runs cold not hot. I get tons of outboards through the shop with debris in the thermostats causing cold running issues but ive never had a inboard in for that. With the hours on your boat you shouldnt have any issues with impellers etc. What i have seen is people not getting the fake a lake up tight and running it low on water hence running warm and possibly damaging impeller. About your warranty it is covered if a thermostat is faulty. But not for impellers that is a serviceable part. If you keep having issues i am sure we can fix it for you.

Sorry but who is "we"

Sorry but who is "we"

Oasis in redding

Sorry but who is "we"

I've had all my servicing done at Oasis and those guys have been superb about quality and timely turn around. Mike in Reno is a recent Malibu dealer and therefore perhaps a bit "green" when it comes to pinpointing issues.

• 2 weeks later...