Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1989 Malibu Euro F3 help

robotace

Hey folks just bought a used 89 euro and needed some help. Does anyone have a picture of the steering wheel they could post? The gentleman I bought the boat from put a different steering wheel on and I cant get the cover to open on the radio with this wheel. He did give me the orginal and what he thought was the all the parts, But I'm not sure he did. I cant seem to figure out how to get the plastic bezil off and I dont think that is orginal to the boat.

Also anyone have any ideas as to what might cause the steering to be stiff? I have not looked into it to hard yet looks like its going to be my weekend project.

Thanks

martinarcher

I took some pics of my wheel last night while test fitting my sub cabinet. I believe my wheel is original. As far as the steering being stiff, mine isn't super easy to steer, but it's not bad. If yours it real stiff, you'll have to replace the cable. If you do, take pics I would like to see how much fun it is. Thumbup.gif I wouldn't mind doing mine. I haven't looked for a cable yet. Not sure how much they cost.

post-7666-1241529847_thumb.jpg

I was kinda of affraid it might be the cable. I will take some pictures if I do change it out Thanks for the picture of the steering wheel too.

There is a possibility the rudder bushing is causing the stiff steering. You can disconnect the cable from the rudder (under the floor under the back seat) & then move them independently to test which one is causing it. The older boats also had zerts on either end of the cable that you can grease, then turn the wheel back & forth to work the grease in.