Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Motorbox Hinge

DIE2SURF

I did a quick search and didn't see anything on the hinges used for the motorbox for a DD.

I just finished the motorbox insulation mod, and before putting everything back together, I was thinking about changing the hinge of the motorbox to the pull-pin type. The stock hinge must be unscrewed from the floor or box in order to take the motorbox off completely, which can be a bit of a PITA. It's pretty handy to just be able to remove the box entirely when working on the engine or accessing the tranny, and having a pull-pin type would make it 10x easier.

Has anyone done this or have any suggestions? I'm not sure if Malibu still uses the one I currently have or if they've changed in the past 10 years...

Current:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Considering this one:

post-5643-1241462127_thumb.jpg

post-5643-1241462144_thumb.jpg

Edited by DIE2SURF

I took the dashpot pistons out so I could open the box completely. I remove the back seat when opening too.

aren't the stock hinges a 3-way hinge? They mount the box and the rear center cover to the bar that is screwed to the stringers. those are a GREAT idea, but you'll need something to attach the whole mess to the stringers

aren't the stock hinges a 3-way hinge? They mount the box and the rear center cover to the bar that is screwed to the stringers. those are a GREAT idea, but you'll need something to attach the whole mess to the stringers

you aren't too far off there...but there are actually a total of 4 stock hinges: two mount from the center floor to the cross bar which is screwed to the stringers under the motorbox (this allows for the center floor piece to be raised to expose the mufflers and shaft/seal). Then there is another set of the same hinges that mount from the motorbox to that same cross bar attached to the stringers. I'm hoping to replace these. Either that or mount the motorbox to that center floor piece with the new hinges (making sure the hinges are at the same level/location) so the floor can still be raised. If it doesn't work I'll just put it back together stock, and only be out $25.

I would try to find some flat hinges with a pin (either removable by design, or install a removable one), the one shown in this thread are going to be toe busters.

I would try to find some flat hinges with a pin (either removable by design, or install a removable one), the one shown in this thread are going to be toe busters.

Yes, they do stick up a little bit, but my buddy had those same ones on his Sanger, and it was never a problem and VERY handy.

The whole thing might not work and I may end up just jerry rigging something up like you mentioned with the stock hinges...I'm just a bit lazy lately...

Do your stock hinges have pins?

Not removable pins...of course that doesn't mean that I can't shear the head off of one end and turn them into removable.

Yep, that's what I was thinking, as long as there are pins, you're set.

Nothing like a simple fix $25 later...heh.

I still like the idea of a decent size pull-pin, but at least I have a good back-up plan if the new hinges are too much of a PITA to install...willl find out in a day or so.

Take a look at these...

Overtons

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/de...1008&r=view

or

West marine

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...mp;classNum=581

I purchased a set from Overtons that I will be installing in a few weeks when I get the time

Ya, I saw those and was contemplating trying them...but I wasn't too comfortable with the idea of having the box lifted up for some reason when on the water and having a nice wake come along and jossle it out of the hinge...granted, the gas lift-arms would help keep it in place a little.

I'm sure they'll work fine too.