Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overheating

Took the boat out yesterday for the first time. After letting it idle for roughly 10-15 minutes I started to smell something burning. Opened the engine compartment and couldn't pinpoint what was burning other than it smelled like rubber. Shut the boat down and pulled the hose to the trans cooler and didn't find any pieces of the impeller there.

I plan on pulling the impeller this morning and taking a look. Are there any other hoses that I should look at to see if there is any obstructions?

replace that impeller then pull the hose at the trans cooler again.

double check for obstructed trans cooler then spin the engine for a LITTLE bit to insure the impeller is pumping water thru the trans cooler hose. if you get good flow then i would try it again after installing the hose at the trans cooler.

if you still get hot then i would pull the t-stat and run without it long enough to see if the heat is controlled.

When i checked the hoses it didn't seem like there was good water flow. I even pulled the hose off the trans cooler and cranked for a few seconds and water wasn't gushing out. I would think there should be alot of water coming out of the hose?

Edited by Broke Amigo

I battled something similar this spring. Pull both ends of the hose that goes from the ouput of the raw water pump (impeller pump) to the transmission cooler and dump it out, or blow through it. In my case I had a clump of sea week about th size of a quarter that would get pushed up against the transmission cooler restricting water flow. When I pulled just one side of that hose and check to see if there was blockage at the trans cooler the sea weed fell back into the hose. Took three outings before I found that blockage....a PITA.

Another thing to check is make sure all hose clamps are nice and tight on all hoses. You will loose pressure if one is loose and is allowing air into the system which may keep the impeller pump from priming.

I know this may sound weird but when I had an over heating problem I found all my houses to be clear, thermostat to be working and had replaced the bad impeller but still had the over heating. After much hunting for the problem I found the inlet side of the water pump packed with impeller parts. Don't ask my how the inlet side became clogged but it was. Cleaned it out and all was good.

Don't rule out the thermostat, I once had a small piece of wood that was stuck in the housing which caused it to not open completely. Never would have thought to check but I just got lucky.

No alarms?

did you feel the water pump housing? they will be cool to the touch if working good

I always back flush on all impeller changes

if you do over heat, t-stats need change and sometimes exhaust hoses need to be changed

No alarms?

did you feel the water pump housing? they will be cool to the touch if working good

I always back flush on all impeller changes

if you do over heat, t-stats need change and sometimes exhaust hoses need to be changed

I can see the stat but why the ext hoses? Dontknow.gif