Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do you think of this?

tuckryan

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1145810234.html

I know it doesn't have the wrap around seating or a tower but it would be my first venture into a V-drive. The seating concerns me somewhat more than the tower as I can add a tower later. I went and looked at it yesterday and seemed to be in decent shape. The trailer needs the bunks recarpeted and I think the bearings need packed but it looked ok. Let me know what you think, I have an appointment this week for a compression check and have it looked over.

I know it doesn't have the wrap around seating or a tower but it would be my first venture into a V-drive. The seating concerns me somewhat more than the tower as I can add a tower later. I went and looked at it yesterday and seemed to be in decent shape. The trailer needs the bunks recarpeted and I think the bearings need packed but it looked ok. Let me know what you think, I have an appointment this week for a compression check and have it looked over.

I agree with you, that seating arrangement would bother me too. It looks clean though, good luck with the compression test!!

Seems like a good first boat. Pretty basic. A tower would be the first thing I do to get all your gear off the floor.

Seating, meh, how many people are you gonna have typically? More than 7? Looks like theres room for 2 at the observer, 1 driver, 3 across the back, 2 in the bow. It is a shame that you have that huge open floor area and nothing to do with it.

having looked for two years...looks like a very good price for the boat.

Just ask others here how to water test...to make sure no slip in trans.

guess its matter of opinion on that empty space...might provide easier moving about in boat. But not the "typical" comp boat center of boat engine look.

to me, unless a competitive skier...all about getting a boat that meets your needs and budget.

Good luck!

I don't know about the price? Looks like a clean boat to me. A few years ago when I was looking, I found a similar model....may have been a 96. It was super clean and I was very interested. The price was closer to 20k back then. The boat was in Indiana and I am in NC so it would have been a good drive but not a deal-breaker. I spoke to the seller a couple of times but eventually ended up passing. My reasons were after I priced out adding a nice tower, adding ballast tanks and pumps, and adding a wedge

and plate, the boat got a lot more expensive. I guess you have to ask yourself what you will be satisfied with? I ended up going

new because I couldn't find anything used locally that was in good shape and significantly cheaper. I realize that this is a buyers market and if I were starting over I might have chosen differently....Anyway, good luck on your decision. I do like the color scheme

on that boat....has and will age well!

Fellas thanks so much for the responses. I am really waffling a little right now. I guess I will see how the compression check goes. The only thing holding me back right now is the seating arrangement. I know some of the guys have said they prefer it for the ability to add launch sacks and what not for extra surf wake. Thanks again.

Ryan

Seems like a seat would be pretty easy to build if that was a problem. Certainly no more difficult or expensive than adding a tower.

I always wanted one of those Coleman coolers with the matching upholstered top on it...... Best idea Supra has ever done with a boat.

This boat is a blank slate good for doing whatever you want to it.

This may be more than you want to spend, but this 05 Response LX was just posted on Craigs. Says the boat is in Eastern WA. This this a good price on an 05 Response.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1150727267.html

Great boat! My buddy used to have one. I like that it doesn't have the seat on the sides.

If you want more seats, just buy one or two Igloo Marine White Coolers and have a snap on custom(color matched) cushion made for them. Then you will have more "removable" seats/cooler/storage.

This is the one I had on my 00 Sunsetter LX

You could buy one of these plain white custions or have a custom one made like I did.

Edited by jimw
Seems like a really good price for that boat with the hours.

Plus1.gif Seems like a great way to get a good V-drive boat.

Guys thanks so much for the advice. I just got an email from him saying he sold the boat as the buyer had cash on hand and didn't need an inspection. I'm a little frustrated as I told him I would take it if the inspection came back ok. Oh well the search goes on and on and on and on.......

Ryan

BTW this is the second time this has happened to me. Does a persons word not mean anything anymore? I guess I don't blame him for selling it to a buyer who had cash in hand but I'm already approved for the loan and just wanted an inspection! Frustrating...

And thanks for the post on the response, but I am more of a wakeboarder than skier and prefer the V-drive configuration at the expense of a little (or big) bump!

Guys thanks so much for the advice. I just got an email from him saying he sold the boat as the buyer had cash on hand and didn't need an inspection. I'm a little frustrated as I told him I would take it if the inspection came back ok. Oh well the search goes on and on and on and on.......

Ryan

BTW this is the second time this has happened to me. Does a persons word not mean anything anymore? I guess I don't blame him for selling it to a buyer who had cash in hand but I'm already approved for the loan and just wanted an inspection! Frustrating...

I can understand your reluctance as it is a big purchase, do you do the same when purchasing a used vehicle?

These boats are well built and the engines, if they are looked after, are bulletproof.

Running up the engine with a fake a lake while watching the exhaust at start up and listen for unusual sounds might be all you can do if the right deal comes around. You are obviously not the only one shopping for a deal in these times.

There are those on this site that would recommend looking at the cleanliness of his vehicles and garage as an indication of how he looked after the boat.

btw, don't be too upset, last night you were still waffling on the purchase

I am really waffling a little right now.

You should have put down a deposit

A friend of mine had two different people coming to look at his boat for sale. The first person bought it right then and there. The second person shows up after driving 3-4 hours(while the first person was looking/buying the boat) and the boat is gone! He was a little upset but understood.

First come first serve.