Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Fix

Alright, so as I am finishing up my last weeks in school I am obviously thinking of nothing but cleaning the 'bu and getting her all set for another great summer. However, last summer the wedge managed to bend itself, for reasons still undetermined. I have had thoughts of trying to take it to a metal works place and seeing what they can do, however I am not sure what the quote might end up at or if they could even fix it (it is bent ever so slightly but it absolutely ruins the wake, so I am concerned that he could never get it back to very much original state?). I found some on ebay for about 500-600$, and this just seems way too steep. I could drop 300$ on fat sacs and end up with the same result so unless I can find a steal on some wedges (anyone know anyplace to get some used, possibly off of totaled boats?). Any dealers that feel like being generous. Any and all input is very welcome.

Hate to up my own thread but does anyone have any ideas? Possibly a cheap fix that I can think of is use a fork lift, some strong chains and lock it into place and try to use the weight of the boat to put some pressure on the wedge as I lift weight up with the fork lift? Yes, I know this is a potentially very dumb idea, I just thought of it but it could potentially work out, have to check out my works fork lift specs as well as how exactly it needs to be bent. If anyone has any crazy ideas I am open. And really, I won't do that idea unless it is absolutely safe.

I think your best bet is to buy a replacement.

I have done some crazy stuff, but getting a forklift around the transome and wedge sounds like a bad idea. I just don't think you would have the percision your looking for to make a fine adjustment.

Replace it with a floating wedge.

I would love to replace with a floating, but that requires a new backing plate, redrilling, and $$$ that I definitely don't have. Probably one of my last summers with the 'bu as well, time to move onto serious jobs/internships and my water time is about to decrease exponentially. Do you have any thoughts about talking to metal works guys? I might just trailer it by them on the way to my work one day and ask for their opinion.

Remove the wedge and use a hyd press to bend it back into the proper shape, really quite simple. Forget the forklift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to replace with a floating, but that requires a new backing plate, redrilling, and $$$ that I definitely don't have. Probably one of my last summers with the 'bu as well, time to move onto serious jobs/internships and my water time is about to decrease exponentially. Do you have any thoughts about talking to metal works guys? I might just trailer it by them on the way to my work one day and ask for their opinion.

from experience trying to get "boat stuff" done at fab shop can be pretty pricey. Even thought those guys have made skills, when you bring a boat in the picture they start sctaching their head.

Remove the wedge and use a hyd press to bend it back into the proper shape, really quite simple. Forget the forklift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's worth trying for sure.

Woody I would just drive by and show them the bend, and if they had a few ideas to fix it I would take it off the boat and dissemble it to avoid getting some more fees tacked on, that way depending on their idea they would jsut have to put it under the press and their end is done. Hopefully it is possibly a quick fix and maybe they can view it as some quick cash. I am definitely going to come by when the boat is dirty and in an old jeep to the shop though, maybe push the college card.

I have a manual wedge for sale if you are interested. Just posted it.

Otherwise if the arms aren't damaged, why not just have a new foil made? It's just a 1/4 inch aluminum plate. Go by a steel shop and pick an aluminum or stainless plate out of a remnant pile, then pay to have it cut to the right dimensions/shape. It doesn't need the fancy taper on the backside, or the fancy logo. Just a thought.

I think one of the arms might be slightly bent. I just got back from school so tomorrow I will take a peek at it and if I feel motivated maybe take a few pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Otherwise if the arms aren't damaged, why not just have a new foil made? It's just a 1/4 inch aluminum plate. Go by a steel shop and pick an aluminum or stainless plate out of a remnant pile, then pay to have it cut to the right dimensions/shape. It doesn't need the fancy taper on the backside, or the fancy logo. Just a thought.

Do you still have the Wedge?? Is it the older style (Straight), or the newer style (w/Bend)?? How much shipped to 95610??

martinarcher

Do you still have the Wedge?? Is it the older style (Straight), or the newer style (w/Bend)?? How much shipped to 95610??

I bought it last week. Sorry man.

i have a newer style wedge if you are interested. it looks like about $20. to ship. make me an offer if you want it.

In case any of you were interested in updates or information about possible future wedge fixes. What we did was wrap a wire cable around the front support bar of our trailer, and then attached a hand crank/winch to it and the wedge on the side that needed to be bent. We fastened a block of wood on the good side to prevent it from bending/torquing the good side, then we cranked away. We over-cranked because we knew the wedge would snap back eventually. Also, we lined up a block of wood and gave the wedge a few good sledgehammer hits. Put the boat in the water and after almost blowing the engine (a long story due to some loose screws...), we fixed the washout/one sided rooster tail fromt he bent wedge. However, whatever we did before or after our attempted fix managed to really make the wake TOO steep, it's like riding into a wall. I am no expert at hydro dynamics but was wondering if we have to bend the plate up or down or pull the whole thing forward or backward to try to fix this? Anyone have any ideas? 500$ is still too much for a new one.