Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fuel overflow

Malibusteve

I thought I'd seen something about this on the site b4 but couldn't find it in a search. Surfed this mornign with more weight than usual. Water was not over the rubrail or anything, but the water was rough so I'd get some water riding up and near if not splashing on and maybe into the fuel overflow. Is there a one way valve in there that only lets fuel run out or is it possible that I could get water into the tank/fuel system by water coming in from heavily weighting port side? Also, does the overflow actually vent the system? If I make a rubber plug to stick in there when wakesurfing is it going to effect the venting of the fuel system and effect engine performance?

Look at the Racor LG-50 (thats from memory)

Not sure if it will keep water from coming in....it really is suppost to stop luquid gas from going out!

-Chris

I need to look at my new boat, but I believe the vent on the side is the only "breather" the fuel tank has. I know my '02 Sunsetter was that way. You want the vent to be functional (i.e. don't plug it) to relieve pressure in the tank, and to allow air in as fuel is consumed so negative pressure doesn't build.

How is your vent positioned? If you can get to the back side, I believe the vent can be unbolted and rotated to a position that may be better at avoiding water intrusion (opening pointed towards the back of the boat).

I just moved mine from one side to the other due to surfing and I did not see any kind of valve a pice of hose and a thru hull is all i found. Dontknow.gif

all boats with in hull gas tanks have what is called a anti-siphon valve, a 1 way valve

best is what you want to do is add a 2 ft loop in the vent line of gas tank, this will act like a water trap

I just moved mine from one side to the other due to surfing and I did not see any kind of valve a piece of hose and a thru hull is all i found. Dontknow.gif

I gotta do that. we currently just tape over the vent line when surfing.

how long did that take you to do?

did you just leave the other vent in place and seal it off on the inside?

New line or same line?

I just moved mine from one side to the other due to surfing and I did not see any kind of valve a pice of hose and a thru hull is all i found. Dontknow.gif

all boats with in hull gas tanks have what is called a anti-siphon valve, a 1 way valve

best is what you want to do is add a 2 ft loop in the vent line of gas tank, this will act like a water trap

Malibu's don't have an anti-siphon valves, 2" gas hose right from the fill into the tank.

This would work like a charm! Thumbup.gif