Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RS-1 Bindings

jjackkrash

I am currently running Connely Draft bindings on my F1, but my front foot starts to severly cramp at the end of pas no. 4 each and every time. I have played with the tension and other variables, but can't seem to solve the problem. I just ordered a Rader universal binding mounting plate and a pair of RS-1 boots. The local shop says there should be no issues drilling holes (teeth clench) and adding the universal plate to the F1. Any reviews of the RS-1s or thoughts on this set-up before the boots get here? Thanks in advance,

Jack

I really like mine - very comfy & lots more control than the rubber bindings I used to run. You don't need to clamp the laces down tight at all, but still have lots of lateral feedback & input to the ski.

Molding the liners makes a difference - before molding, my toes were right up against the front of the boot.

Hmmm.... Order first, ask ?? later???

I really like mine - very comfy & lots more control than the rubber bindings I used to run. You don't need to clamp the laces down tight at all, but still have lots of lateral feedback & input to the ski.

Molding the liners makes a difference - before molding, my toes were right up against the front of the boot.

Yeah, I got impulsive and ordered before I really thought about it, but I am really not committed until I drill the holes. The bindings won't be in until next week. I like the Draft's on pass one through four, but pass five just sucks b*lls.

Yeah, I got impulsive and ordered before I really thought about it, but I am really not committed until I drill the holes. The bindings won't be in until next week. I like the Draft's on pass one through four, but pass five just sucks b*lls.

The RS1s are by far the best bindings for comfort and performance I have ever had. I would suggest Superfeet insoles under the liners. It really helps fill the space in them so you don't have to really cinch them down. They were made to be worn without pulling elastic tight. Get the superfeet for rollerblades/hockey skates. Then mold the liners with toe cups. Not really sure why you need to drill though. That plate, I believe will handle any hole pattern, unless you have been using velcro, but even then, I know numerous folks that have velcro-ed the plate.

just my 2 pennies

Doug

I ski an F1, and I had the RS1s. The plate will fit the F1 with no problem. You won't need to drill any holes.

However, I didn't like the RS1 bindings. I know I'm in the minority here. They were super comfortable - best feeling bindings I've ever put on, but I couldn't get any tip pressure on the ski. They made me tail ride all over the place. I fell out the back (something that's never happened to me before). Other folks swear by them. Someone told me I needed to give them 30 sets or so to feel comfortable, but I didn't want to invest that much time in them, so I sold them.

I bought them because I was getting bad foot cramps in my Animal bindings. After trying the RS1, I went back to the Animals. I modified the foot bed to make them comfortable. I took the bindings apart and took one layer of foam out of the foot bed. The little extra space made all the difference. No more cramping.

Just my experience...

Edited by kpickett
I ski an F1, and I had the RS1s. The plate will fit the F1 with no problem. You won't need to drill any holes.

However, I didn't like the RS1 bindings. I know I'm in the minority here. They were super comfortable - best feeling bindings I've ever put on, but I couldn't get any tip pressure on the ski. They made me tail ride all over the place. I fell out the back (something that's never happened to me before). Other folks swear by them. Someone told me I needed to give them 30 sets or so to feel comfortable, but I didn't want to invest that much time in them, so I sold them.

I bought them because I was getting bad foot cramps in my Animal bindings. After trying the RS1, I went back to the Animals. I modified the foot bed to make them comfortable. I took the bindings apart and took one layer of foam out of the foot bed. The little extra space made all the difference. No more cramping.

Just my experience...

I have heard from several now that said no drilling required. I also talked to the instructor at our club lake and he said that adding the universal plate to the F1 would change the flex pattern and make it stiffer: "You might like it better, you might not." I am a little heavy for the ski anyway, so I hope that I am in the "like it better" category.

Just my experience...

I have heard from several now that said no drilling required. I also talked to the instructor at our club lake and he said that adding the universal plate to the F1 would change the flex pattern and make it stiffer: "You might like it better, you might not." I am a little heavy for the ski anyway, so I hope that I am in the "like it better" category.

I am fairly certain the universal plate is desinged to float and allow the ski to flex. Here is a description:

http://www.h2oproshop.com/radar-sequence-u...boot-plate.html

Edited by Chef23

Just my experience...

I am fairly certain the universal plate is desinged to float and allow the ski to flex. Here is a description:

Cool. Thanks for the info.

The RS1s are by far the best bindings for comfort and performance I have ever had. I would suggest Superfeet insoles under the liners. It really helps fill the space in them so you don't have to really cinch them down. They were made to be worn without pulling elastic tight. Get the superfeet for rollerblades/hockey skates. Then mold the liners with toe cups. Not really sure why you need to drill though. That plate, I believe will handle any hole pattern, unless you have been using velcro, but even then, I know numerous folks that have velcro-ed the plate.

just my 2 pennies

Doug

I'll second that, Superfeet liners make them feel even better.

Just my experience...

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Google is an amazing thing :)

It would be good if your instructor wasn't giving out bad info though.

Edited by Chef23