Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hissing noise, I hope it's normal

I forgot to bring this up a while ago when I heard it, but a few months ago I took my "new to me" vride out just to see if it would start, run, and float! I had the rear sunpad completely removed and as I was cruising I heard a hissing noise. It got louder with increased rpm's and vice versa. I'm hoping it was air passing through the K&N air filter to the intake but can anyone confirm that that's probably what it was. And will I hear this when the sunpad is reinstalled?

Thanks for any input.

i have that noise on my boat as well, around 3000-3300rpm. when they tech's did the make it right thing they said it was the air filter and maybe a bigger one would fix it. haven't spoke to indmar about it yet though.

it is annoying and is a noise that should not be heard on a new boat.

yeah my boat makes that same noise I kinda like it it sounds like it has a turbo on it.

so do I, it sounds pretty bad arse, like the boat is about sprout wings and fly!!! I just want to make sure it's normal and how much I will still hear it with everything buttoned up.

Sounds like your describing an engine sucking air to me. Normal.

good, that's what I wanted to hear. But will i still hear it when I get everything put back together?

Hehe, I doubt it. Lots of insulation in that engine cover.

Sit on rear bench of a direct drive and ask driver to WOT for say 20 seconds, listen to the V8 noises :-), then yell at them to throttle down. Doesn't seems to matter if throttle off quickly or slowly, the effect is not a tiny hissing sound but a huge air sucking noise. Enjoy !

Sit on rear bench of a direct drive and ask driver to WOT for say 20 seconds, listen to the V8 noises :-), then yell at them to throttle down. Doesn't seems to matter if throttle off quickly or slowly, the effect is not a tiny hissing sound but a huge air sucking noise. Enjoy !

I second that!! I rarely sit in the back of my RLX (usually driving or skiing). I was back there the other day laying on the floor while my buddy was skiing and my other buddy was driving (we had a boatfull). Anyway I made two observations: 1) The engine really does suck in a lot of air 2) That V8 sounds BAD a** when sitting in the back!!