Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New ballast install

Squag Mon

I have been researching for several weeks and finally started my project for setting up a ballast system on the Starboard side V-drive trunk of my boat. I purchased all of the necessary parts (from Bakes--yes they are cool) Thumbup.gif and received them yesterday (I forgot to order the darn anti-siphon valve). Anyway, I started the install last night and started asking myself more questions. I noticed that the factory installed center ballast uses a "y" from the fill line to the drain line. The "y" from the fill line is connected at an elevated loop in the line. From the "y"one line goes to the ballast sack and the other connects to the drain line at a "y"directly attached to the through-hull drain connector on the side of the boat.

I believe that this acts as a anti-siphon valve but it also acts as an overflow. Thoughts? I like the idea of turning on the pump and not having to constantly watch the level of the sack-- it gets too full then the water goes out the drain line. With the anti-siphon valve--when the bag is full and the pump isn't turned off then something's gotta give--right??

Edited by Squag Mon

You absolutely need a vent line, which should be attached to the highest point on the bag (that will allow the air in the bag to be replaced by in coming water).

I'm having a hard time following your description of the factory setup, but Malibu tends to have 3 connections:

1) Fill

2) Drain

3) Vent

You absolutely need a vent line, which should be attached to the highest point on the bag (that will allow the air in the bag to be replaced by in coming water).

I'm having a hard time following your description of the factory setup, but Malibu tends to have 3 connections:

1) Fill

2) Drain

3) Vent

What I'm trying to describe is that Malibu esentially tied the vent line to the fill line with a "y" The vent line then escapes the boat through the same through-hull as the drain line.

I know still fuzzy.

Edited by Squag Mon

So the fill line is split with a wye, with one connection going to the tank and the other connection going to another wye with the vent line, which is then connected to the drain line with a third wye?